Chapter fourty-one

"All night shift staff report for duty!", Raphael said through the loudspeaker so Cat, Magnus, Dot and all the other doctors and nurses gathered around. "It'll be one hell of a night, we still have plenty of patients left over from the day shift but we can do this. Let's go!" Magnus inhaled the sterile hospital smell and took a deep breath. He was ready. There was some sort of nervousness in him, he knew Jace was dealing with the case but still he hoped Asmodeus didn't find out yet. Magnus went to his desk and started doing paperwork. "Oh wow, the day shift left quite some stuff over.", Cat sighed and Magnus rolled his eyes:" As always. I really don't get them. They can't ever finish their crap by themselves. I something's even feel like they forget that there are people working after they leave." Cat sighed:" You're right. And guess what, we have new interns to be shown around." Magnus frowned:" Really? I haven't noticed yet. How do you know?" "They sent us all a mail.", She replied curiously. "Oh, well I haven't checked on my mails for quite a time.", Magnus admitted and fidgeted his phone out of his pocket. There he saw a message from Jace saying that he did some research and found some good stuff. Magnus' chances seemed good.  He smiled and breathed out in relief. "What are you smiling about?", Cat asked. "Uhm, nothing." Sure?", Cat asked and Magnus saw her rising her brow. "Yeah. It's fine." "I don't see anything fine.", Another voice said and Magnus didn't even have to look around to find out who it belonged to. "What do you want, Asmodeus?", He asked harshly. "I want you in my office. Now.", He said and banged the door shut. "Oh wow, is something going on between you two?", Cat asked and Magnus chuckled:" There's always something going on, Cat." Then he left for his father's office. His hands were shaking of nervousness. Hopefully, this wasn't about what he thought it would be. "Sit down?", Asmodeus said. "I prefer to stand, thank you.", Magnus replied calmly. "As you wish.", Asmodeus answered with a cold in his voice that made Magnus shiver. "So, what did you want to talk to me about?", He asked, not being able to bear the tension for another minute. "You tell me, son.", Asmodeus said. "I have nothing to tell you, doctor. You either ask me whatever you wanted to know or dismiss me, there are people counting on me." "People you can shout at? People you can wish bad luck?", Asmodeus snapped. This was it. He knew. "People who call me a bastard, yes. People who are aggressive and impatient. But also people that need my help.", Magnus answered completely calmly. He noticed, his hand stopped trembling. He felt like he was about to do a complex surgery. The nervousness turned into calmness and maximum concentration. He felt his feet on the ground, saw everything clearly and heard twice as well. On his father's face, Magnus could see a blink of surprise and insecurity- he totally didn't see that coming from his son. "Watch your back, Bane. I am watching you closer than ever. And everyone else is too. If you make a single mistake, you're out. And I mean it." Magnus just nodded and left for the door. "Did I dismiss you?", Asmodeus asked sharply and Magnus whirled around with an anger he hasn't felt in eternities:" I think I can dismiss myself out of a casual conversation all by myself. Or was this an official meeting? Because therefore you would have to protocol that.", Magnus said and left the office. "What was that all about?", Cat asked. Magnus winced:" Were you eavesdropping?" She shrugged:" There's nothing to eavesdrop on. We all got an email to watch you closely, everyone who sees you making a mistake and doesn't report it can be dismissed." Magnus' eyes widened:" Seriously?" "Yes.", Cat said and was interrupted by Dot who was getting a patience to the OR. "Multiple GSW, Magnus You're on this with me.", She commanded and Magnus immediately followed her. Behind For, there was a brown haired guy that Magnus has never seen before. "Hey, are you one of the new interns?", He asked. "Yeah. Jordan Kyle. You must be Magnus Bane, right?", He replied. "Yes.", Magnus said surprised, "You're joining us for this surgery?" Jordan nodded:" I'll be assisting." "Awesome.", Magnus said and went to the prep room. "Okay, can anyone fill me in on this?" Dot nodded:" He has been shot in the stomach twice, maybe Ragnor will join us a little later. Male, mid-thirties,. No pre existing conditions. Some sort of game escalated, I don't really know myself." "Alright.", Magnus replied and carefully washed his hands and elbows, put on his gloves and entered the OR. The patient already got his anesthesia so Dot and Magnus started working on him."We're loosing him!", A nurse said, watching the monitor. "No we're not. We are the best chance this guy's got.", He said and grabbed the defibrillator."Clear.", He said. "Clear!", Everyone replied and Magnus let a shock go through the man's body. "Still no pulse, doctor.", The nurse said. "Again! Clear.", He said "Clear!", Everyone replied. "No response to pain. There's nothing we can do for him. "Again!", Magnus said and grabbed the defibrillator one more time. He couldn't give up on this patient. Not today. Not now. "Magnus, he's gone.", Dot said silently. "No!", Magnus said and tried again. And again. And again. Until Dot pulled him away from the guy:" Magnus! He has been gone for twenty minutes! There's nothing we can do. We did our best." "No we didn't.", Magnus said silently, "If we would have, he would still be alive." "Magnus.", She said and stroke his head but Magnus flinched. He got rid of his gloves and darted out of the OR. Somehow, he found himself in the kitchen in front of the coffee machine. Maybe coffee could help.