After [3/5] (TW; addiction, attempted suicide)

Stefani's POV:

6 months ago...

I was excited to finally be back from my business trip to Los Angeles. I loved my job and spending time with talented writers and producers at the studio but what I loved more than that was being with my husband.

We were currently going through some issues but that never changed my feelings for him. He was the kindest and most loving man I'd ever met and when I'd given up on relationships and finding my soulmate Bradley stumbled right into my life. Him and his way with words, always knew what to say and when to say it.

I excitedly pushed my suitcase to the side and unlocked the door to our apartment. Despite us both having more than enough money we didn't feel the need to own a huge house yet. We wanted to wait for a while until trying for kids and didn't need a whole house for just the two of us. When I was inside of the hallway I strolled into the living room. The lights were on so I'd assumed Bradley was home, watching tv or working on something.

When I stood in the door way though, that wasn't at all what I found. On the ground in front of the couch laid Bradley, unconscious and I immediately smelled the alcohol. How hadn't I smelled it before? It was so strong.

I let out a tiny cry before I rushed to his side, while simultaneously searching my pocket for my phone. I didn't remember dialing 911 or what I said to them. I just couldn't tear my eyes away from the man I loved. He felt warm but his pulse was barely even there. "Hurry up!" I remembered that. I yelled at them to hurry up a billion times while the lady on the other line tried to calm me down. I knew it was her job and she had to do it but I hated her for being so calm when my whole world was crumbling apart.

I couldn't imagine losing him. My Bradley. He'd proposed to me just a year ago, he'd surprised me with flowers when he knew I didn't feel well and even when times got rough and we fought more regularly he'd always hold me at night, so I'd know he was still there for me.

I had been a shit wife. I'd pushed him until he yelled at me and then blamed him when he did nothing, I had distanced myself from him without even noticing and even while he tried so hard to make me happy I simply stopped showing him that I still loved him. But god did I love him. I couldn't have shown him even if I tried to.

I held his body, his head was on my lap while I brushed my fingers through his hair. He'd loved it when I did it and it always managed to calm him down. I sobbed and through my small cries I sang him his favorite song.

I only stopped when the paramedics pulled me away from his body and talked to me. I didn't listen to them though, I couldn't even process what was going on.

"Miss, we need to know what happened!" One of the ladies said.

"I don't know. I got home and found him." I croaked out while wiping some tears away from my face.

"He drank about 5 bottles of whiskey." I heard one of them say while the others tried to stabilize him. "Low blood pressure, we need to get his stomach pumped out immediately."

They rushed him out of my apartment and I ran after them, still crying hysterically. "I'm his wife, can I please drive with you?" I asked and one of the women gave me a warm smile before helping me into the car.

The ride to the hospital was quick and before I knew it a door was in my face. I just peeked through the small window and watched them disappear into a room with him on a bed.

"Stefani, darling!" I heard and felt a pair of arms wrap me into a tight hug. I didn't remember calling Gloria but I was glad she was here.

"What happened?" She sobbed, making me cry harder again.

I managed to catch my breath and shook my head. "I don't know. He drank. He drank alcohol, Gloria. He- he-" I stuttered, not wanting to say it out loud.

"They said it looked like attempted suicide." I eventually got out. The words tasting like venom on my lips. Suicide. He wanted to die. Was it my fault?

Gloria gasped and shook her own head now. "I can't believe this! Bradley is so happy with you, Stef. I don't understand." She rambled on, trying to figure out what was going on.

"Maybe he wasn't. Maybe our fighting got too much, Gloria. It's not been easy, I believe he told you." I let out a sigh as we both sat down after having calmed down from the initial shock.

Gloria nodded and bit the insides of her mouth.

"Do you know something I don't know?" I asked, narrowing my eyes at her. She seemed hesitant before she shook her head. I decided to let it go, she was just as shocked as I was.

++++

"Stefani, baby, wake up." I heard Gloria's voice and felt her hand gently squeeze my shoulder.

I groaned and sat up from my uncomfortable position. I must've fallen asleep. I opened my eyes and rubbed them to get adjusted to the bright hospital LED lights beaming down on me.

"What's going on? Is he awake? Is he alright?" I asked, suddenly wide awake when I remembered why I was at the hospital in the first place.

Gloria shook her head. "No. He's not going to wake up anytime soon. They said he's stable but they had to put him in a coma until he's stable enough. We should go home and sleep." She offered her hand to me.

"No. I'm not leaving." I said, refusing to take her hand. She shrugged with a sigh.

"There's nothing we can do." She explained.

"I want to be here. I want to see him." I said, getting off of my chair.

Gloria yelled something after me but I didn't even hear it anymore when I rushed towards the restricted section. One of the nurses stopped me and I glared at her. "Please, I need to be with him. He needs me." I felt the tears roll down my cheeks again and sobbed.

The nurse shot me a sad smile and then nodded. "Okay, but he's not going to wake up soon." She told me.

"I know." I snapped. She didn't have to remind me again. I ignored her further advice and finally opened the door to his room. He looked so peaceful, almost like he was asleep and the sight made me break down once more. I cried and ran my fingers through his hair until I felt too tired to stay awake any longer. I laid my head down onto the bed next to his arm and closed my eyes, drifting off into a deep sleep.