fair play (mature)

(AU in an alternate universe where neither Bradley nor Stefani are in relationships when they meet)

"I can't believe you're not an actual singer. And you really didn't take any lessons?" Stefani asked for about the 30th time since Bradley and her stopped singing a rendition of Midnight Special by her piano.

Bradley pushed his hands into the pockets of his Armani jeans and shrugged with a chuckle. "No. I'm not that good." He mumbled, a bit flustered. Being inside of Lady Gaga's home was already overwhelming enough, but he never expected to get along with her this well, neither did he think she'd enjoy his singing this much. He was truly flattered.

"You're great! I know what I'm talking about and a good voice doesn't just happen. You're born with it. And you, my dear, were definitely born with it." Stefani stopped in front of him to gently poke his chest to get her point across. She smiled up into his ocean blue eyes and tilted her head to the side when all he did was hold his breath and look down at her with his lips slightly parted in awe. Her beauty was something he'd never truly experienced like this and she left him completely speechless most of the time he'd been inside of her Malibu home. "What?" Stefani asked with a giggle leaving her mouth.

"Nothing. I just can't believe you're the same Lady Gaga I've seen on television before." He said, honestly. "I'd expected... lots of unnecessary bling, makeup, wigs, the smell of strong perfume and a full house with the phones ringing non stop and someone sewing a dress directly onto your body, but this is nothing like that." He grinned at his detailed description, making her laugh. It was the most beautiful sound she could've ever made.

"They're all just hiding. I'll be in my wig in a second if you want that." She rose a brow at him with a side grin.

"No. I very much prefer the silent house and I'm not sure if it's crossing any boundaries, but I think you're a lot more beautiful without any wigs or makeup on." He admitted and shot her a toothy smile, making her insides flutter.

She'd of course seen many of his movies and admired his talent before but meeting him, the real him, without him playing a role and her showing him her most vulnerable side as well wasn't anything like she thought it would be. He was handsome, even more so up close than on screen and god, was he charming. It seemed to come to him so effortlessly and she didn't know if it was just the way he was or if it had anything to do with herself. She'd thought about putting on an act for him, show him the Lady Gaga special, costumes and all but for some reason the second she'd imagined the scene in front of her eyes, she'd already thrown the idea back out of the window and told her team to stay home, cancelled all meetings that afternoon and evening and chose the most boring clothes out of her entire collection. Even now, she didn't regret her decision. She felt free and oddly comfortable in his presence. It was almost as if this was what it was meant to be and feel like.

"You're actually not crossing any boundaries. You're a lot more handsome in real life than you are on television yourself. I like the button down shirt. Is it Dolce&Gabbana?" She asked, gently tracing the collar of his shirt with her fingers, close to his skin. He shuddered for a second and then nodded.

"Thank you and yes. My mother got me it when she was in Italy." He told her, watching her eyes glow in wonder.

"Italy?" She asked, with wide green eyes, her fingertips still on his shirt, while she looked up at him. She was a lot shorter than him but the difference in their height didn't seem ridiculous, they just fit.

"Yes, she was visiting family. Why?" He furrowed his brows in confusion at her sudden interest in the country.

"My family is Italian. I haven't been there in a while. I miss it." She drifted off into memories for a second before Bradley's voice snapped her back to reality.