Can't get you out (mature)

Her arm lifted hesitantly, feeling much heavier than it actually was. She took a deep breath in through her teeth before the knuckles of her hand met the wooden door, the knock startling herself even though she was the one to initially cause the sound.

It's been over eight months. Eight months apart. She wasn't even entirely sure if he'd remember her after everything. Would he be happy to see her? Would he just slam the door right back into her face? Would he open it at all?
Her shallow breaths became even more shallow, making her chest hurt. The mere thought of him not wanting her anymore, as much as she wanted him caused her physical pain. She couldn't breathe without him, sleep or think.

While Stefani fiddled with her fingers, contemplated whether or not she should just run away while she still had the chance to do so or if she wanted to stay and risk seeing him happier without her, Bradley was already fighting himself on the other side of the front door.

As soon as he'd peeked through the spy hole and his eyes landed on Stefani he lost all train of his own thoughts. They were all over the place, wildly swirling around his mind, causing him to go almost dizzy. What was she doing here? Did she miss him? Was she still as in love with him as he was with her? And god, she still looked as stunning as he remembered her. His memories of her didn't even do her any justice, now that he had the privilege to lay eyes on her in real life.

His hand grabbed the door handle and he left it there, taking deep breaths in and out. He couldn't even remember the last time they'd seen each other. Actually, scratch that, he perfectly remembered the moment she ripped his heart out and stomped on it until he couldn't feel it anymore. Why was she back here when it was her that left in the first place?

Stefani waited for another moment and let out a heavy sigh. "Damnit." She mumbled and turned around to leave right when the door opened. She stood still at the sound of the wooden door creeping open so slowly, she was sure the world had stopped turning and only moved at half of it's speed.

"What are you doing here?" Bradley asked, holding onto the door in case he needed to close it again, not that he wanted to. The last thing Bradley had ever wanted was to close the door on her but it was her who'd left and he didn't have a choice back then. He wasn't so sure though if he'd be able to go through all of this again, if she decided to leave him again.

Stefani's body turned slowly, her eyes not daring to look up at his face. She let them rest on her own shoes instead and then shrugged her shoulders once. She didn't know why she was here, to be quite honest. When she'd broken off their relationship or whatever the hell they were back then and ran as fast as she possibly could to avoid all sorts of feelings and eventually heartbreak she was left with such deep emptiness and sadness, it was eating her up alive.

She had longed for him, wanted to be near him all the time and it scared her so much that she had to leave him and hide herself and her heart away. She didn't like the feeling of being so dependent on another human being, especially a male and love interest of hers because not only did her past relationships scar her for life, but she'd always been so independent and strong, almost invincible. It was different with Bradley. She'd allowed herself to cry in front of him, she'd opened up to him and he knew her like nobody else did and ever would.

While all of that was scary and overwhelming to her back then, she came to the conclusion that it was exactly what she needed and wanted now. She wanted to miss him while they were apart and she wanted to cry in front of him when times got rough. She wanted to run into his arms for safety and comfort and slam the door into his stupidly handsome face after another heated argument but also open the door for him again so they could make up.

"I'm sorry I just came by without calling or something." She mumbled, tugging at the hem of her shirt. One of the many nervous habits she had that Bradley obviously still remembered very well.