Moving Forward

"So how have you been? Heard anything else from California?" Maya asked as she settled back down om Josh's chair feeling much more comfortable. Josh shrugged his shoulders.

"They sent me something in the mail. They want to know if I'm still interested in the job. I haven't called them back yet." He admitted. Maya nodded.

"Are you going to take it?" She asked him. Josh sighed.

"I guess that all depends on where my life is in the next three months. If there is anything or anyone to stay for." Josh stated. He didnt mean for it to make Maya feel guilty or cause her to feel uncomfortable, that was just the way he felt.

"Well, Its your dream. It'd suck pretty bad if you didnt follow through with it." She told him. Josh didnt say anything as he kept looking at the floor.

"You saying I should take it?" He asked her. Maya bit her lip as she felt her stomach drop.

"Like I said. It would suck if you didnt follow through with your dream." She responded. Josh nodded his head.

"I'm still deciding what I want to do." He told her. "Moving away from the family and all my friends. Going to a completely different state where I dont know anyone. That's a lot. I dont know if I'm ready for that yet or not." He admitted.

"Well only you can answer that. Nobody else knows your heart like you do." She told him. Josh nodded. Maya looked down and started playing with her fingers. "My dad has cancer." She whispered. Josh snapped his head up at her.

"T-that sucks. I'm sorry to hear that." Josh told her. Maya nodded her head.

"Thats why he came to see me. He gave me this letter explaining everything in it about his condition. He has maybe six months at the most. He wanted me to know before it got too bad for him to travel."

"Have you thought about going to visit him?" He asked her. Maya shook her head.

"I really just want to leave it alone. He told me he has cancer, I know now. Why does there have to be anything else said. Everything was fine before he showed up." She said.

"I think its more for your peace of mind than his. Giving you a chance to say whatever it is that you wanted to say to him for years before its too late." Josh said. Maya scoffed.

"Now you just sound like Shawn." She mumbled. Josh shrugged his shoulders.

"Shawn's a wise man. Plus he's coming from a place of experiance. He went through the same thing with his dad. I think he just wants to make sure you get the chance to say your peace, he knows how important that is in a situation like this."

Maya didnt really think about it that way. It kind of warmed her heart to think about. Even now Shawn was still looking after her future.

"I have six months to figure it out." She stated.

"Do you?" Josh questioned. "Cancer is unpredictable, Maya. I know they gave him six months, but that doesnt mean he'll get even another day. Shawn realizes that, and I think you do, too. Maybe you should think about going and seeing him after exams are over with. And if you want, I'll go with you." Maya stared at him.

"You would do that?" She asked. Josh nodded.

"Maya I've never been through what you're going through. Okay, and I dont pretend to know what it feels like. But I do know what it's like going into a uncomfortable situation by myself and wishing i had someone with me. So, if you were to decide that you wanted to go see your dad, then if you want me to go with you then i will."

"Thanks Josh." Maya said. Josh shrugged his shoulders. "No really. I mean it, thank you." Josh nodded. "I'll think about it and let you know what I decide. In the meantime, you should think about calling California and taking that job." Maya told him before standing up. Josh felt his heart drop.

"Right. I'll do that." He said. Maya nodded her head. "So we're good?" He asked standing up. Maya took a deep breath and smiled.

"Yeah. We're good." They both went in for a hug, and they both hung on for a little longer than really necessary. They both let go and stared at each other before Maya broke away fully and cleared her throat.

"I should get back. Riley and I are supposed to meet back in our dorm. I'll talk to you later." She told him. Josh nodded.

"See ya." He mumbled as she walked out of the room. Josh laid back on his bed and let out a sigh. He was happy that him and Maya were finally talking again. That they had finally put everything with Adrianna in the past. It wasnt much of a conversation though. They didnt actually talk about it. But it seemed like they were on good terms.

If there was one thing he got from this conversation though, Maya was ready to move on. She made it pretty clear that whatever they were, they werent anymore. Josh had to admit that he wished that they would have talked about it more, that maybe he had a chance of reuniting things. Then he thought about what Riley said, Maya really didnt need a boyfriend at the moment. What she needed was a good friend. And if being Maya's friend meant keeping her in his life forever, then he would rather do that than to have a good few months with her as her boyfriend and then never speak to her again.

One thing was for sure, Maya really wanted him to take that job in California. Follow your dreams. Josh sighed. Why not? It was ovbious that Maya wanted nothing more right now then a friend. And Josh respected that. But he would be graduating in a few months and Maya would be staying at college. They really wouldnt have time to see each other if Josh stayed anyway. Especally with them being nothing more than just friends, there was no reason for him to sneak into her dorm. There was no reason for him to make time to spend with her if he stayed.

Sighing and realizing what he needed to do. The FBI was his dream, and Maya was right. He needed to follow it. He reached over and grabbed his phone and the letter that was on his bedside table. If him and Maya were truly meant to be then maybe it will still be in three years when she graduates.

Dialing the number that was given on the piece of paper, Josh put the letter down and brought the phone to his ear. letting it ring a few times before someone on the other line answered.

"Hi, this is Joshua Matthews calling about the job offer for the FBI?" The person on the other line responded. "Yes, I'll hold." He replied. A few minutes later anothe person spoke. "Yes sir? Are you still offering the job?" He asked. "Wonderful. I am still interested."

It was time for him to move forward.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________