Mixed Up

Hey everyone! Including this one there are three chapters left! Thank you all for reading and I hope you guys enjoy!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The graduation went by in a blur for Maya. Honestly, she couldn't keep her mind focused on it at all. She let her mind wonder throughout the whole ceremony, clapping when she heard others clap, nodding her head whenever she felt Riley leaning over and whispering something in her ear, never really processing anything that she was saying.

"Josh is next!" Riley squealed quietly to her, breaking Maya out of her train of thought. Maya looked up at the stage, and noticed Josh standing right there, waiting to be called.

"Joshua Gabriel Matthews." The announcer spoke. The whole section of the Matthews family clapped and cheered loudly as Josh walked across the stage and accepted his diploma, shaking hands with the dean of the school and smiling for a picture at the camera that was flashing.

As he was walking off stage and someone else's name was being called, Maya froze. Josh brought his head up to stare right at her, never breaking eye contact until he walked fully off the stage. It made Maya's heart stop and her breathing hitch. She felt that similar ache in her heart, and you didnt have to be a genius to know what it was. Or what he was asking her to do with that one look.

Maya ignored the rest of the ceremony, Riley seeming to have the same idea as she hid her phone down low and started texting on it. The important part was over, Josh's name had been called, and they were ready to get home and start Josh's goodbye party.

Maya was thinking over ways that she could make excuses so she wouldn't have to go when Riley bumped her shoulder and nodded towards the stage. Maya looked up and noticed that the ceremony was over and that all the graduates had finished the tradition of throwing their hats up in the air.

"Well we should get back to the house and set up everything for Josh's party." Topanga said as she turned towards the rest of the family, Katy standing beside her.

"Go ahead, we'll head back in a bit." Cory told them. Topanga and Katy walked off towards the parking lot, while Cory, Shawn and Mr. and Mrs. Matthews all headed over to where Josh was celebrating with his friends.

"Come on!" Riley exclaimed, but Maya pulled back and shook her head.

"Actually, I think I'm going to head back to our room and start changing clothes." Maya told her. Riley frowned. "I promised Farkle I'd meet up with him anyway after the ceremony was over." Maya lied. Riley seemed to know it was a lie to, but she took pity on her friend and nodded her head.

Maya didnt waste anytime from Riley's nod, she turned around and started making her way back towards her dorm room, which was all the way on the other side of campus from where they were having the ceremony. Maya walked as fast as her heels would allow without her actually running, she didnt want to break her ankle. Although it would be a good excuse for the rest of the family as to why Maya had to skip out on Josh's party, it wouldn't be to Riley. She would drag Maya out of her grave if it meant her going to that party.

Maya felt immediate relief as soon as she got into her room and kicked off her heels. The dorm halls were filled with family and friends as they were all going into the now newly graduated college students dorms and hanging out. Maya found comfort in her bed as she laid down and closed her eyes.

She wanted to avoid Josh so badly, but at the same time, she felt bad because of everything he had done for her over the last few weeks. He even went to take her to go see her father and his family. Maya wouldn't wish that upon anyone.