Difficult News

Thanks for reading and reviewing everyone! I hope you guys enjoy this next chapter! Hope everyone is staying safe!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"So what's the news about you and Lucas?" Maya asked her. "I know you guys talked, but you never told me how it actually went. Maya stated as they both were sitting in the campus library, studying up for exams. Riley looked up from across the table and looked around to make sure that they wouldnt be able to be over heard.

"It was fine." Riley shrugged her shoulders at her. Their voices were low so they wouldnt disrupt anyone else who was studying near by. "We talked about what happend, and there was a lot of yelling involved. But it turned out to be a good thing. We noth needed it."

"So, what's the deal. Are you guys back together? Are you staying friends? What's going on?" Maya hit her with questions. "Is he transfering to Texas?"

"I dont know." Riley sighed. "I mean, we're not back together and we have decided that we're going to try and work to build our friendship back up again. But when I asked him if he was going to go back to Texas he wouldnt answer right away."

"Did he ever give you an asnwer?" Maya asked her. Riley shrugged her shoulders.

"Not really. He just said that he needed to make the decision a couple of weeks before term started back in the fall. So I guess he hasnt really decided yet. I told him that he should stay. That it would be good for us if he did. But he didnt answer." Riley explained. "I think he is still seriously reconsidering it."

"Well, maybe Zay will talk him out of it. Or who knows what the summer could have in store for us." Maya tried to lift Riley's spirits and make her feel better about things. Riley didnt say anything, she just sighed and went back to the text book that was opened in front of her.

"I dont know. Maybe him going back to Texas would be a good thing for us. I know that we just agreed to be friends again, but what if that's not enough?" Riley asked. "Maybe we just need some time away from each other. He could always transfer back, you know?" Riley looked up at Maya again and Maya stared at her.

"I guess. But once you make a decision like that, there's no going back. That's why you got to be sure." Riley shrugged her shoulders again.

"I know one thing, dad is going to be a constant pain this summer. He's already called me a dozen times since my breakup with Lucas. Wants to know if his baby is okay." Riley stated. Maya chuckled.

"He's just looking out for you. But that's why I didnt tell Shawn or my mom about this whole thing with Josh." Maya told her. Riley rolled her eyes.

"If I have to suffer through it this summer, then so do you. If one person tries to tell me that this whole thing will pass over and I just need this time to find myself, I swear I'm throwing you under the bus." Maya couldnt help herself, she laughed causing so many people to glance their way. Some in anger, and some in curiosity.

"Thanks, a lot." Maya's phone buzzed from bag. She reached into the zipper and grabbed it, causing Riley to give her a warning look.

"You're going to get us in trouble." Riley stated as she glanced over at the sign that said no cell phones.

"What else is new." Maya stated before frowning at the unknown caller id. She pressed the accpet hesitantly before bringing it to her ear. "Hello?" She whispered in the phone.

"Hello, is this Maya? You're Kermits daughter, right?" The person over the phone asked. Maya shifted in her seat uncomfortably.

"Depends. Who's asking?" Maya answered back, Riley looked up to give her a curious look.

"My name is Carrie, I guess you could say that I'm your stepmom." Maya felt her blood run cold. "Of course, I understand if that's a little too weird for you. I know we haven't met." Carrie continued talking.

"What do you want?" Maya tried to keep herself from sounding so bitter, but judging by the sharp intake of breath from Carrie and the moment of silence, she was sure she hadn't succeeded.

"I'm calling to talk to you about your fa-um, Kermit. I'm calling to talk to you about Kermit." Carrie stopped herself. She was walking around eggshells with Maya, obviously Kermit had told her how Maya's feelings were towards him. Maya bit her lip before trying to calm herself down.

"Is he-um, is he okay?" Maya asked as she stumbled over her words. Carrie seemed to let out a breath of relief, or at least that's what it sounded like to Maya, before she continued to talk.

"I'm really sorry that I have to be the one to tell you this, Maya. I know that this would be easier coming from someone that you know, but there isn't enough time for that. Kermit, he is getting worse. We've tried to put him into the hospital but he insists that he wants to be at home when its time. The doctors are making house calls and making sure that he is as comfortable as he can be. His time has been cut short. He has until Early June, if he's lucky."

Maya felt her chest get heavier and heavier with each word that Carrie spoke. And by the look on Riley's face, it was showing on Maya's. Riley had completely abandoned her textbook and was staring right at Maya, as if her face would give the answer that Riley was asking.

June. He had until early June. That was only three more months. That was less than three months. It was in the middle of March. Maya hadn't even really made up her mind that she was going to go and see him and be at the funeral.

"Maya?" Carrie's voice broke her out of her train of thought.

"Yeah, sorry. I'm still here." Maya stated as she shook her head and started trying to put her things back in her bag with only one hand, Riley starting to help her. 

"We'll be moving him to New York in about a months time. He's stubborn, he wants to stay here, but I'm stubborn, too. I know he'll enjoy being in New York more than he would back here. And I know that he would love it if he could see you one last time before he goes." Maya froze, there it was. What she was hoping wouldn't come out of this conversation. "I know you're in college and probably very busy, but it would mean the world to him. Please, just think about it. I'll send you the address and date that we'll be there."

Before Maya could say anything else, the line went dead. Maya brought her phone down to the table and took a deep breath. She looked at Riley, who had just finished putting both their stuff back in their bags like she had anticipated that they would be leaving after Maya got off the phone.

"Who was it?" Riley asked. "Was it about your dad?" Maya nodded.

"Cancer has gotten worse. He's only got about three months, if he's lucky." Maya whispered. Riley's eyes widened in shock before she reached over the table and laid her hand down on Maya's.

"Are you going to go see him?" Riley asked her. Maya thought about it for a moment, then she shook her head.

"I-I dont know. I dont know what to do." She whispered. And everything had seemed like it had come to a stop. And for a moment, it was just her and Riley in that library.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________