Chapter 19 - Protection

Me and Lena held hands all the way back to my room. When we got there, I opened the door and walked straight into the bedroom. Lena threw herself straight onto the bed as I took my suit off. Normally after a big fight like that, I would immediately repair my suit, but I felt like staying with Lena was much more important. I put my suit into the wardrobe and went to go have a shower. Although the water was so hot and nice on my skin, I tried to keep it short because I knew the base was running off a reserve generator.

I got out of the shower and dried myself off. I had taken a spare pair of clothes into the bathroom for me to change into after I'd showered. I put the spare pair on and walked out of the steaming bathroom and back into the bedroom to find Lena still lying on the bed. She must have been knackered. Although she didn't do as much fighting, she had been so stressed all day and hadn't had a minutes rest since the morning.

"(Y/n)?" She said whilst yawning.

"Yes love?"

"Care to join me?" She said as she properly got into bed, still wearing all her clothes.

"Sure." I said as I got into bed with her, also wearing my clothes.

I wrapped my arms around her and we both quickly went to sleep.

I awoke in the middle of the night to hear crying. I opened my eyes and saw Lena crying right next to me. She must have been having a nightmare about yesterday. I sat her up and hugged her.

"Hey hey, Lena, it's alright. Everything's fine? Ok?"

"(Y-y/n)?" She whispered to me.

"Yes Lena, I'm here. Everything's ok, there's nothing to worry about."

"I-i just can't stop thinking about how that t-thing almost killed my friends, and without you, they would all be, d-dead." As she said that last word, she started crying more. It upset me to see her like this.

"Lena, look at me." I said holding her shoulders. She slowly looked up into my eyes. "None of your friends will die. I won't let them kill any of your friends. I will make sure of that." She slowly stopped crying but still looked sad.

"T-thanks, (y/n)." After she said that she kissed me and laid back down. I laid back down too and hugged her close to my body, since she felt more protected from the demons there. Me and Lena both slept through to the morning fine after that, with Lena waking up first.

Lena pov

I woke up in (y/n)'s arms. I felt so protected there and it was kind of the only place I felt safe. I was still thinking about what had happened yesterday: the initial shock of what was going on, that thing almost killing me, Reinhardt and Torbjörn and what (y/n) put himself through to keep all of us safe. I just could not stop thinking about them, like what would have happened if (y/n) hadn't have gone for that thing, or what if he didn't make it out of the reactor or, what if...if...

"Lena?" I looked up to see (y/n) looking into my eyes. I suddenly realised that I was crying again. "Are you ok?"

"Y-yes love." I said as I wiped a tear away.

"Lena, what's on your mind?" (Y/n) said as he hugged me.

"I just can't stop thinking about yesterday, what happened, what you did to yourself to protect us and what could have happened it's just, I can't take it." I started balling my eyes out. I didn't like crying, I don't think anybody does, but I couldn't help it. In the space of just over a week my life had gone from normal overwatch business to end of the world hell invasion, and It was just too much for me.

(Y/n) pulled me closer into him. "It's too much for everyone, but it's only going to get worse the longer we wait. The quicker we get this hell invasion over with, the quicker you will be back to a normal life."