Chapter 34 - Crucible

Lena pov

(Y/n) had just fired a BFG round at the icon's head and it hit, killing it! I was so happy, it was dead! I didn't realise what had happened to (y/n) though. I looked across at him to see him lying on the floor.

"(Y/n)!" I screamed as I limped over to him. I took his helmet off and started checking his vitals. He was breathing and had a pulse which was good, although he seemed to be unconscious. "(Y/n), you did it. The icon of sin is dead." I said as I hugged him. "(Y/n), we won." I kissed him on the cheek as I did that.

"You haven't killed it yet."

I looked up to see the talon assassin who gassed me in Kings Row standing there with widowmaker and lots of Talon soldiers. All the other overwatch agents came over to me and readied for another fight.

"To truly kill it, you must implant a slayer's crucible blade into its brain. Only a true slayer can access a crucible's potential, so without (y/n), you cannot access it."

"So why are you here?" I asked.

"Simple. We're here to take the crucible."

"Well I'm sorry luv, but you can't have it."

"So you've chosen your method of delivery. Death."

As she said that, the Talon soldiers started firing at us. Reinhardt got to the front of us and put his shield up as we all started to return fire. I ran over to (y/n) to make sure they didn't harm him or take the crucible. Not many Talon soldiers got around everyone, but those who did I quickly took out.

We continued to fire and kill the Talon troops, but there were just so many of them. We would kill some and more would replace them. Eventually, they brought in some demons to fight us. It started with just imps which we could take out, but eventually went up to bigger demons and a baron of hell.

We slowly got overrun by the talon troops and we were forced to fall back. I grabbed (y/n)'s crucible and tried to pull him to cover but was unable to do so.

"Lena, get into cover!" Reinhardt shouted.

"No, not until (y/n) is in cover too."

Reinhardt ran over to me and helped me drag (y/n) over to cover.

"Lena, we've got to get out of here. (Y/n) will be alright, he can fight his way through anything. I'm sorry, but we're going to have to leave him here." Reinhardt said.

"But, he wouldn't do the same to me. He would do everything to make sure I was safe and then some. We can't just leave him here!"

Reinhardt looked down and sighed. "Lena, I know that (y/n) would do everything possible to keep you safe, and I know you want to do the same, but please don't take this the wrong way, but you're not (y/n). You can't singlehandedly fight off the armies of hell and back to save someone. We're just going to have to leave him here."

"But, but, I can't, he'll-"

"Lena, please. We can't help him. The best we can do is take his crucible and wait for him to fight his way out."

By this point I was practically crying. (Y/n) had done everything he could for me, and the one time he needs help, I'm hopeless.

Just then an explosion hit our cover, blowing it up. I grabbed the crucible and ran, Reinhardt covering me as we regrouped with the others.

As we got to the others they could see the look on my face, but most of them didn't have the time to ask me anything since they were all fighting off Talon and demons.