60: Old Geezers

Nyssa didn't know exactly what happened to her.

After she froze and got attacked by the assassins, all she could remember was the pain on her body.

She was badly beaten. Despite her shield type clothings, they were still able to inflict so much pain towards her. She must have pissed them that much for them to be that merciless.

Then Moira almost had her mental capacity and void.

But she passed out after that.

And now she woke up inside the void feeling terrible.

How? Did she will herself to be inside here?

She looked up and saw a tall tree above her.

For a moment, she was stunned. Then she remembered that she had stolen the ancient tree in Meng Residence.

She lied comfortably on one of its roots and just stared at the tree. It was glowing, totally out of place inside the void.

"I am sorry for bringing you inside this lonely place." Nyssa muttered.

Despite her pain, she conjured a smile towards the tree and even managed to caress its roots.

She hated now that for the sake of experimenting, she took this ancient tree away from its home for a long time.

"No need to be sorry. I have been in that place since the beginning of your ancestors. Nakakasawa din na manatili sa isang lugar ng matagalan."

Nyssa almost jumped in shock. Pero agad siyang napahiga lang ulit dahil na din sa masakit pa niyang katawan.

Anyway, she was not alone in the void.

There was an old man there.

"S-sino kayo?"

The old man crouched besides her.

"Call me Tata Laon."

"H-how..."

"Why, of course, I came with this tree. Ako ang guardian ng punong ito so surely, I will go wherever it goes."

Nyssa was dumbfounded.

Guardian... To her, it was almost like meeting a primordial diety.

"I... I..."

The old man chuckled.

"Don't mind me, kiddo." Then he straightened up himself. Next thing, Nyssa knew, Maru was suddenly standing beside the old man.

And she was bowing down.

"Tata Laon..."

"Why don't you do your job to your own Master?" The old man's voice was way colder compared when he was talking with Nyssa earlier.

Agad siyang nahiwagaan dahil doon.

Anyway, hindi sumagot si Maru sa matanda but she immediately went beside Nyssa.

"Let me help you..."

"Call her Master."

Maru instantly froze beside Nyssa.

"I am waiting..."

The ancient bird closed her eyes and sighed deeply. When she opened her eyes again, it was already voided of any emotion.

Then she looked at Nyssa.

"Master, let me tend your wounds."

Nyssa choked at once kahit wala namang dapat na bumara sa lalamunan niya.

Maru was curtsying in front of her. She couldn't believe it kundi lang nasa harapan talaga niya ito ay baka hindi talaga siya naniwala na nangyari iyon.

"Whoa... I think there's no need to do this at all." Nyssa said.

Pakiramdam niya ay pinaparusahan ng matanda si Maru. He seemed to be either more powerful or older than the ancient bird because she knew Maru was too prideful to be doing this kind of things without even complaining.

The old man shook his head.

"Tell me if this servant of yours overstep again."

Then he disappeared.

Doon lang naman nakahinga ng maluwang si Maru. Then she glared at Nyssa.

"What? I haven't done anything." Defensive niyong sabi.

The ancient bird flicked her forehead.

"You have the audacity of stealing this ancient tree. That's what you've done."

"Ehem..." The old man's voice echoed around the void. "The void is my domain now. I can see everything in here. Just so you know, little bird."

Instantly, Maru stiffened.

"Sorry, Tata Laon."

Maru breathed deeply. Then without saying anything to Nyssa anymore, she started healing her. Of course, with her songs.

This time though, Nyssa fell asleep so she had no memories of how Maru healed her.

***

"... I can't. My cultivation is still too low. I have already healed her meridians which were also badly damaged last night. I need a day or two before I can regain enough energy to cure her physical body this time."

It was Maru whom Nyssa heard upon waking up.

Seemed like the bird was explaining herself.

"In the first place, Maru, we could have prevented all of these kundi lang..."

"Toby, are you scolding Maru?"

Nyssa asked groggily. Agad namang naputol ang anumang gustong sabihin ni Toby because of that.

Anyway, Nyssa could barely move. She even needed to shut her eyes again dahil naramdaman niya agad ang pag-ikot ng kanyang paningin.

"Stay still, dolt. Take more rest. I need time to regain my energy. But once I do so, I swear I am going to have your physical body fixed again."

"Take your time, Maru."

"Tch! You are too nice to her, Ana." Reklamo ni Toby.

Nyssa just smiled at him. She wanted to tease him na dati nakikipagtandem pa ito sa pambbully sa kanya. Tapos ngayon, sinasabi niyang ambait niyang masyado kay Maru. But she stopped herself dahil na rin nanghihina pa siya.

Once again, she opened her eyes. This time, she took it nice and slow to prevent feeling a vertigo again. After taking deep breaths, her eyes finally focused.

"Where are we?" Nyssa asked as soon as she noticed the unfamiliar place.

"We are in my master's place, Ana." Jin answered her question.

Instantly, Nyssa's eyebrows rose up. She had longed been curious about Jin's Master. After all, most of her martial arts were quite similiar with his. Only with different names.

Minsan na ring sinabi sa kanya ng binata na kapag nagpunta na sila sa Southern City, he would introduce her to his master.

She just didn't expect that it would be this soon at nasa ganito pa siyang sitwasyon.

"What are you doing crowding around the patient? Let that little lady rest." A man with a hoarse voice said.

Instantly, Nyssa's eyes focused on that man who just entered the room at sumaway pa sa mga nakapaligid sa kanya.

Then her lips hooked.

Well, if it wasn't her own Uncle/Master, then she would have disappointed at all.

***