Chapter 1

"Shit," Saneimi thought as he dashed through the thick snow.

Dense grey clouds hovered the sky, gusts of bone-chilling wind pierced every inch of his exposed skin, more and more snow piled up in his hair. A storm was coming, and the enormous gash stretching from his shoulder to abdomen is definitely not helping.

"CAW! CAW! FOWARD! FOWARD! HURRY!" Sanemi's kasugai crow urged. Sanemi cursed under his breath, where the fuck is this demon?

Smudges of crimson blood caught Sanemi's attention, his eyes widened slightly at the sight before him. Shreds of maybe three or four red foxes had been scattered among the snow. Was he too late?

Growls and a high pitched scream came from the other side, Sanemi turned and sped left. The girl is still alive.

Tears, snow and blood blurred the girl's vision as she raised the branch again with a trembling hand, swinging it at the disgusting creature without much strength. Tripping on a rock, the girl tumbled backwards, helplessly plummeting to the floor. Red, coppery fluid split from every wound on her body, staining the snow beneath her. "Marechi..." the demon snickered, reaching for the girl with her claws.

"Annoying pests!" the demon ripped the red fox that bit her leg into two, discarding the pieces as if it were trash. "N-No!" the girl pleaded and sobbed, trying to shield another fox beside her, "Don't hurt them!" "Then stop fighting and let me devour you! Brat!"

"Breath of the wind, Seventh Form: Gale - Sudden Gusts."

The girl watched in disbelief as the demon dusted away in a frustrated wail. How did he do it? It happened in a blink of an eye, all she knew was that she owed this man her life.

"Oi, girl, what are you doing out here at this hour," glancing at the small and bony girl, Sanemi decided she was too young for his colourful vocabulary. "I..." the girl was about to explain when Sanemi falls unconscious.

"Mister? Mister!"

************************************************
"Ara ara, Shinazugawa-san, you should have treated your injuries at a wisteria house before taking another mission." a sweet voice sounded. Sanemi's eyes shot open, "Kocho?" Looking around, Sanemi found himself laying in a cottage out of repair, with cracks on the ceiling visible from the floor. Remembering the tiny girl, Sanemi tried to sit, "Where the fu-" A venomous smile plastered on Shinobu's face silenced the wind pillar, "Shinazugawa-san, I suggest you refrain from moving, because your wounds are infected."

"As for Chizuko-chan, she insisted on burying her fox friends and finding you clean bandages as I ran out of them," Shinobu continued, only to be interrupted by yells seemingly from a few blocks away.

************************************************
"Leave!" The man shoved Chizuko away while his wife hugged the children. The smile on Chizuko faltered, "B-but..." The man pushed Chizuko again, "Get out of our sight! You cursed vixen!"

"The devil's child." "I heard she was cursed from birth." "Ha, I would have killed myself too if I were her mother." The villagers whispered among themselves. Chizuko got up from the floor, "Sir, you don't understand, someone is hurt!" Hearing the murmurs from the crowd, the man grew more confident and threatened. "Are you deaf or something? Do I need to throw rocks at you like last time?"

"That would not be fucking necessary," a scarred hand gripped the man by his wrist. The man flinched, slowly tearing his eyes from Chizuko to the menacing figure beside him. Sanemi had a dark look on his face, veins were popping out of his forehead, his eyebrows would be jumping if he had them. Everyone held their breaths until...

"Ano... Mister! Please don't break his arm," Chizuko went to Sanemi, looking up at him with her duo coloured eyes. Sanemi was taken back, girl, this piece of shit wanted to throw rocks at you a moment ago. Yet, he loosened his hold, "Tch, thank your dumbass luck that you're leaving in one piece today, you son of a bitch."

"Ara ara, what is going on here?" Shinobu chimed in with her signature smile, placing her hands on Chizuko's shoulders. Her brows furrowed the slightest, all she could felt was bones, when did Chizuko-chan last eat? Gazing at the man, his family and the villagers, Shinobu felt the familiar anger boiling in her veins. Do they even know what they are doing?

"So, does anyone have bandages?" Looking at Chizuko who didn't want to cause a scene, Shinobu clasped her hands together and asked.

The trio returned to Chizuko's cottage with bandages. "Shinazugawa-sama, Kocho-sama, i-if you don't mind, here are some sweet potatoes. I'm sorry that I don't have anything else to serve," Chizuko stammered. Scanning the girl's almost colourless lips, Shinobu asked, "What about you?" "I-It's okay! I have eaten!" Sanemi and Shinobu exchanged a look, the girl was clearly lying.

"I'm not hungry," Sanemi placed the sweet potato in front of Chizuko. "Eh? But Shinazugawa-sama, you just fainted!" Chizuko pushed the potato back to Sanemi.

Sanemi sucked in a breath, this girl is freaking hopeless. "Kocho, we should leave for the headquarters now," Sanemi stood. "Right," Shinobu followed, "Gomennasai, Chizuko-chan, we have to leave now."

"Already?" Chizuko couldn't contain her disappointment, it was the first time she had something close to friends, let alone these people had just saved her life. Shinobu nodded apologetically, "Sayonara, Chizuko-chan."

Shinobu's hands balled into fists as she and Sanemi stepped through the door. Shall I ask her to come with me? Would it be too dangerous for her? Little did Shinobu knew, the same thing went on in Chizuko's mind. Shall I ask to follow them? Would it be impolite?

Would it be right to leave? Chizuko had never left the village, not when her mother abandoned her, not even when her grandma went missing in the mountains. Although many viewed her with disdain, this was her home. What of the foxes at the reserve? Would someone else care for them like she did? Chizuko fiddled with her fingers, Kocho-Sama said they were demon slayers, what were demon slayers exactly? All she knew was that they were good people, and she would have wanted to stay with them. After all, the last person that made her feel warm despite the cold weather was her late obaasan.

It was now or never. Chizuko took a deep breath.

"Shinazugawa-sama! Kocho-sama!"

The two pillars halted, turning to face the girl.

"Is... Is it possible if I could follow you? I promise I won't be a nuisance!"

Sanemi shook his head slightly but Shinobu blatantly ignored him.

"Of course, come with us," Shinobu smiled genuinely. She may not be able to survive a day fighting demons, but at least I can give her a home.

"F-for real?" Chizuko couldn't belief her ears.

Sanemi stared at the two girls, dumbfounded and questioning their sanity.

This girl had no idea what she had signed up for.

A/N : 👋🏻 Hi~ This is my first attempt in writing a fan fiction. Hope you all like it :) This chapter may be a little short but I promise I'll try my best to write more. I will be posting more chapters soon.