Chapter 3

Glancing back, Sanemi failed to conceal his shock.

The frail girl who looked as if the icy-cold wind could have blown her away was now scurrying behind them with total concentration constant.

Yes, she did faint the first time a couple of hours ago. But she insisted on trying again. It was almost evening now, and she was still persisting.

Maybe she could be something more.

After two more days, the trio finally arrived at the headquarters.

"Please take Chizuko-chan to the butterfly mansion, I have told Kanao-chan and Hina-chan about her arrival," Shinobu guided Chizuko to a kakushi. "Hai, Kocho-sama," the kakushi glanced at Chizuko, is Kocho-sama taking in another child? "I'll see you later, Chizuko-chan," Shinobu smiled. Chizuko beamed and waved, "See you, Shinobu-san!"

"I am Suzuki Chizuko, nice to meet you," Chizuko followed the kakushi. "Nice to meet you too, I am Goto," Goto said as he led the way. Chizuko studied her surroundings, "Goto-sama, what is this place?" "Ah, this is the Yubuyashiki estate, where oyakata-sama lives," Goto explained, "he is the leader of the demon slaying corps." The two carried on with their chatter.

After countless twists and turns, the duo stepped into a massive garden filled with butterflies fluttering among the flowers. "We're here," Goto declared, "beautiful, isn't it?" Chizuko nodded furiously, she had never seen any gardens up close. After all, only the wealthiest of the village had a garden, and some nobody like her was not welcomed.

The two girls who pushed open the door caught Chizuko's attention. One had a side ponytail and the other had shoulder length hair, both girls had butterfly hair clips that matched with Shinobu's. "Is this Suzuki Chizuko?" the girl with short hair asked. Goto and Chizuko nodded. "Alright, come in," the short haired girl gestured for Chizuko to come forward.

Goto smiled under his mask, "I'll see you around, Suzuki-sama." "See you soon, Goto-sama," Chizuko waved at the kakushi before joining the two girls.

"I am Kikuchi Hina, and this is Tsuyuri Kanao," the short haired girl introduced herself. "Nice to meet you! Kikuchi-san and Tsuyuri-san," Chizuko was about to bow. Would they dislike her? What if they thought she was a demon's child like the kids back at the village? What if they thought her hair and eyes were weird? What if they thought she was boring? What if-

"A-Ah! There's no need to bow!" Hina grabbed Chizuko's shoulders, "And just call us Hina and Kanao! There's no need for formalities here, we're sisters now!" Chizuko's head snapped up, sisters, what a beautiful word. Hina grinned, "Let us show you around! We'll meet the others later at dinner!"

"This is our room, you'll be sleeping there with us," Hina pointed at a door on the right. "The door at the end of the corridor leads to the bathhouse and kitchen. Oh and that's Shinobu-san's room. Her office is next to her room, you can usually find her there, unless she's on missions. The other building is a hospital for injured slayers." "I see," Chizuko memorised the rooms, not wanting to embarrass anyone by walking into the wrong room.

"Now, let's get you some clothes and a nice bath," Hina slid open the door to the girls' room. "Here, and a towel," Hina handed Chizuko a purple and blue hakama while Kanao found her a towel, "Hope you don't mind that it's our old clothes, we didn't get the message until last night." "It's totally fine, thank you so much," Chizuko touched the fabric, although it had been used, it was softer than any clothing she had ever owned.

"Hina-chan? Can I ask you a question?" Chizuko asked. "Of course! Ask away," Hina closed the cupboard. "Why do you both have butterfly hair clips?" "Ah! Kanae-san and Shinobu-san gave it to us when they took us in! They are all of different colours," Hina gestured to hers and Kanao's one. "Who is Kanae-san?" Chizuko wondered. "We'll explain that later. Now off you go," Hina pushed Chizuko to the bathhouse.

*************************************************
With her heart pounding, Chizuko slowly slid open the door to the dining room. She felt bad for not helping to prepare dinner, Hina shooed her away from the kitchen, insisting she was their guest today. But that was the least she could do to repay their kindness. What if they thought she took everything for granted? Hina seemed fine with her, but what if the others didn't want a new member? Would she be left alone? Would she be asked to go away?

"O-oh! Hi! Kanao-chan!" Chizuko saw Kanao and three little girls seated by the table. Kanao smiled and nodded in acknowledgment. Chizuko turned to the three girls, "Hello, I am Suzuki Chizuko, what are your names?"

The eyes of the three girls glowed as they observed Chizuko, the little girl with thin bangs spoke first, "I am Kiyo, Terauchi Kiyo!" "I am Nakahara Sumi!" "I'm Takada Naho!" "Ne, Chizuko-san? Are you a fairy princess?" Naho suddenly asked. "Eh?" "Yea! Chizuko-san looks so much like the fairy princess in the fairytales!" Kiyo squealed with delight. Sumi nodded, "Chizuko-san! Did you come from a magic kingdom?"

Chizuko's eyes widened in surprise, they didn't think she was strange, nor did they find her hideous. They even said she looked like a princess. Tears rolled in Chizuko's eyes, she no longer had to wrap her hair in a towel, no longer had to lower her head around people to hide her eyes, no longer had to be afraid of the rocks people would throw at the devil's child. Because no one thought she was an evil being, not anymore.

"Dinner is ready!" Hina slammed open the door, "Make way for the food!" A girl with piggy tails and a girl with an elegantly braided bun were behind Hina. "We're having udon tonight," the elegant girl noticed Chizuko, "You must be Chizuko-chan. I am Sano Ichika." "I am Kanzaki Aoi," Aoi said after Ichika.

"Ara ara, I see you've all met each other," Shinobu entered after the girls. "Master!" "Shinobu-sama!" The girls exclaimed. "Now now, let's eat, shall we?"

"Ah, one more thing before we eat. Chizuko-chan? I would like you to have this," Shinobu placed a pale pink and blue butterfly hair clip in Chizuko's hands. Tears slid down Chizuko's face. "We're sisters now!" Hina's cheer rang in her ears. The hairpin was a promise, a promise of a new family.

"Chizuko-chan? Ahhh! Don't cry! Here! Eat more! You can have more fish cakes!" Hina panicked, putting more fish cakes from her bowl into Chizuko's. "You can have more corn!" "You can have more kombu!" The others followed.

"Thank you, thank you all," Chizuko wiped away her tears, clipping the hairpin on her low ponytail. She would repay these people even if it costed her life.

"Itadakimasu*!"

*Itadakimasu is similar to "thank you for the food" and "let's eat"