Chapter 59

The only thing Chizuko could hear was her thunderous pulse.

Immense pain spread across every inch of her skin exposed to the gentle rays of dawn, as if millions of needles were stabbing her. Chizuko blinked away the tears prickling her eyes, she could see red blots all over her flesh. And she was quite sure she was sizzling and smoking, like the paper-thin meat on the grill at a barbecue shop.

The height she was leaping from wasn't helping at all. Her heart could barely take it, sheer terror coursed through her veins, she was running on pure adrenaline. Keep your eyes open! Chizuko forced herself not to squeeze her eyes shut, she wouldn't be able to  judge her landing if her eyes were closed.

Nezuko, Chizuko reminded herself, Nezuko must be suffering more, she had been under the sun for longer.

Landing with a roll, Chizuko willed her arms to push herself up from the grass. She grimaced and hissed, the sleeves of her uniform were sticking to her melting skin, and some wounds on Chizuko's body tore open.

Still, Chizuko ran.

"CHIZUKO!!!!" Muichiro roared, struggling feverishly against Genya, Kanamori, Kotetsu and Haganezuka who were desperately grabbing his waist and legs, nailing him to the floor so that he wouldn't jump off the cliff. Tears were streaming down his cheeks, this is suicide! Muichiro couldn't believe what was happening, he had just been holding her hands a while ago. He felt as if he had just found her waiting for him in the mist, yet she was to disappear forever when he reached out to her. Has she forgotten? Didn't they promise to spend their forever hand in hand?

"Tokito-san!!! Calm down!!!!!" Kotetsu cried, his grip on Muichiro's sleeve was loosening, "Tokito-san!!!"

Eh? Why can't I... revert to human? Is... Is it because of the sun? Chizuko realised as she was closing the distance between her and Nezuko. Nezuko isn't far away, don't hesitate, don't stop! You're almost there!

"CHANGE BACK!!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!??" Genya shouted, starting to notice that something was wrong, "OI!!! CHIZUKO!!!!"

Hearing his friends wailing and screaming at the back, Tanjiro almost halted in his tracks, he could guess what was going on. No, he didn't want to loose another friend after Kyojuro, he didn't want to loose another friend because of his weakness and carelessness again. If Chizuko doesn't make it, they will both perish under the sun.

A deep sob escaped from Tanjiro's throat, but he had to carry on. He couldn't waste the efforts of anyone, everyone was counting on him. Find him! He's close! Sniff him out! Where is he!!? He must not be far from this body!

Sunlight was eroding Chizuko's skin, she could see her fingertips crumpling, dissolving along the morning breeze. Is this... the end? Beautiful and precious memories flashed before her eyes.

"Mommy!! Grandma!!" giggling, Chizuko skipped into the house, "Look!! I made you flower crowns!!"

Chizuko slammed open her door, "Shinagawa-sama! Kocho-sama! Is... Is it possible if I could follow you? I promise I won't be a nuisance!"

Wiping her tears, Chizuko slurped a mouthful of the most delicious udon she would ever have in her life, listening to the laughter and jokes of her new family at the butterfly mansion.

"You have a pure heart, Chizuko," Kagaya smiled, it was the first time Chizuko felt so trusted, "May you keep this heart in the days to come."

"Set your heart ablaze and you can accomplish anything with it!" Kyojuro always had this big warm smile whenever and wherever he went.

"Be yourself! Chizuko-chan! You don't have to force yourself to fit into a certain category," Mitsuri squished Chizuko's cheeks, "besides, Chizuko-chan is too adorable to be serious around us all the time~"