Chapter 4

Though it was three weeks since Chizuko had arrived, there were still surprises every day.

For instance, two weeks ago was the first time she tried bread. That morning, Shinobu and Hina returned from a mission, and they brought with them an array of pastries. "Chizuko-san! This is anpan*!" "That is jam pan!" "This is cream pan!" "Ohhh! And there's melon pan!" Naho, Sumi and Kiyo introduced each type to her. Chizuko could feel saliva escaping from the corner of her mouth just by looking.

Chizuko enjoyed the sweet and crumbly coat of the melon pan, the nostalgic taste of anko, the fluffy custard, the strawberry jam, and of course the soft and filling bread.

Another thing was cooking. Aoi offered to teach Chizuko, the two grew closer ever since. To Chizuko, Aoi's cooking was simply magical. She could dice onions without shedding unnecessary tears, transform veggies and fruits into cute floral shapes, whip up mochi from starch and sugar. Unsurprisingly, Chizuko nearly burned the kitchen the first time she cooked, but she was improving, Aoi had complimented her thrice in a week.

Time spent with Ichika was more in silence. Chizuko learned reading and writing from Ichika. Chizuko started with Naho, Kiyo and Sumi's books the first week, by now she could read medical journals from Shinobu, exceeding the expectations of everyone. Hina's jaw dropped after hearing Chizuko recite the rules of the demon slaying corps precisely a week ago.

"How do you remember?" Hina had asked, "Did you stay up last night?" Chizuko shook her head, "I didn't. It's just... Whatever I see or hear or feel seems to get stuck in my head."

But her handwriting still had huge room for improvement.

Chizuko also enjoyed watching Ichika draw. The flowers and animals on the paper seemed to come to life as Ichika's brush danced across the paper. She tried to mimic Ichika, but again, there was quite a lot of room for improvement.

Of course, Hina and Aoi told her more about everyone. Chizuko now knew Kanao was sold to slavery by her abusive parents, and how she couldn't make decisions without her coin. She was told about Kanae too, heartbroken at the fact of how Shinobu changed over the years. Perhaps Shinobu-san was pushing herself too hard.

Shinobu observed Chizuko from the side. Although Chizuko was oblivious to her achievements, Shinobu grew more and more shocked by her potential. Chizuko could remember what each of her fifty cupboards of medical ingredients contained just by listening to it once, she was catching up to Hina's or even Ichika's speed with only three weeks of basic training, and she was still breathing with total concentration constant.

"Wow! Sugoi*! Kanao-chan!" Chizuko, Naho, Kiyo and Sumi gaped at the gigantic bubble blew by Kanao. The girls were doing laundry and Kanao started blowing bubbles for the girls after flipping her coin. The three little girls skipped and jumped around, popping the shimmering bubbles under the sun.

Creak. The gate was opened. The five girls turned to see a woman with silky white hair and cat like eyes. Kanao gazed at the lady for a moment before bowing frantically, this must be Amane-sama. Chizuko and the three little girls followed Kanao, unsure of who the beautiful lady was.

Hina stuck her head out, "Who's the-... Ahhh!!? Amane-sama!? What brings you here? Please come in first!" Hina held the door for her. "And Kanao-chan? Can you please help get Shinobu-san? And Chizuko-chan! Please help look after Naho, Sumi and Kiyo first!"

"What are they talking about?" Hina whispered, "They look so serious!" "Hina-chan? I don't think it's a good idea," Ichika-murmured, "and you are stepping on my hakama." "Sorry," Hina lifted her foot. All the girls were hiding in the thick hydrangea bushes outside Shinobu's office, spying on Shinobu and Amane through the glass. "Who is Amane-sama?" Chizuko asked. Aoi explained, "She's the wife of oyakata-sama." "Ohhh," Chizuko's mouth formed an o shape.

"Hurry! Everyone back to their positions!" Hina ordered as the two women in the office stood from their chairs. Aoi, Ichika and Hina picked up their wooden swords, Chizuko dragged Kanao back to the laundry along with Naho, Sumi and Kiyo. They bid Amane-sama farewell with Shinobu.

"Of course! I'd be happy to help with anything!" Chizuko exclaimed. Shinobu had called Chizuko into her office after dinner, "Chizuko-chan? Amane-sama had come earlier today, and she would like some help from you."

Shinobu described the situation, there was a child whom Amane-sama saved from the forests. The child was badly injured and had only waken up a few months ago with absolutely no memory. "Amane-sama was hoping if you could visit the child since you two are of similar age. She thought maybe a friend could help in his recovery," Shinobu told Chizuko Amane-sama's request.

Poor thing, Chizuko thought. He or she must feel terrible. She was about to promise to help when thoughts ran through her head. She had never tried taking care of people, what if he or she felt uncomfortable? She had never met him or her, what should she do with he or she? What if he or she wouldn't enjoy her company? What if she failed Amane-sama's expectations? Would Shinobu be disappointed? Would she be thrown out? Would-

"Chizuko-chan," Shinobu patted her shoulder and smiled, "Don't worry too much, just be his or her friend and that'll be enough."

Chizuko took a deep breath and returned the smile, "I'll try my best. Thank you, Shinobu-san."

************************************************
"Here," Aoi helped Chizuko cover the basket. "Thanks, Aoi-chan. Do you think it'll be enough?" Chizuko pondered, what if he or she doesn't like her and Aoi's cooking? What if there wasn't enough food? A crow with a purple scarf perched on the window sill, "CAW!  CAW! Suzuki Chizuko! Suzuki Chizuko! Follow me!"

Chizuko waved goodbye to Aoi before hurrying after the crow with the basket of food in her hands. She recognised the path, they were heading to the Ubuyashiki estate. "Suzuki-san," Amane-sama stood at the front door. Chizuko quickly bowed, "Ohayo, Amane-sama." "Please follow me."

"Suzuki-san? Thank you for being willing to spend time with Tokito-san," Amane led Chizuko down the long corridor. "I-it's nothing! Amane-sama! It is the least I can do to help!" Chizuko couldn't help to be nervous. "Please bear with Tokito-san, Suzuki-san. Tokito-san is still not able to remember much, and might have mood swings," Amane sighed, it had been months but the child showed no sign of improvement. "Of course! I'll be extra patient!" Chizuko was determined. Just as Aoi and Shinobu said, she could do it.

"We're here," Amane slid open a door at the end of the corridor.

*pan : Japanese call bread 'pan'
*sugoi : amazing