Chapter 64

Obanai leapt away from the screen doors that slammed open beneath him.

It was bad, this Upper Moon Four was wearing him and Kanroji off. It was as if they were stuck in quicksand, they couldn't leave to help out on more emergent battles, nor could they win this strange biwa demon anytime soon.

He wondered where Suzuki was, he remembered seeing her with Tokito before they all fell into the fortress.

"CAW!!! EMERGENCY!!!" A crow flew pass, "TOKITO MUICHIRO!! SUZUKI CHIZUKO!! SHINAZUGAWA GENYA!! HEAVILY INJURED!!! CALLING FOR HELP FROM HASHIRA!! UPPER MOON ONE!! CAW!!!"

Obanai's eyes widened, losing his balance for a moment.

"Iguro-san!!!" risking the possibility of being crushed, Mitsuri backflipped and landed next to Obanai, reaching out to grab his arm, "D-Don't worry!! We'll go help them as soon as possible!! We got to work harder if we want to get to them!!"

"R-Right," Obanai cursed himself for putting Kanroji in danger, "Thanks, Kanroji."

God, Obanai took a deep breath to steady himself, I know I never prayed or made any offerings to you, and have never really believed in your existence to start with. But if you're really up there... Please hear me out... Keep Suzuki, Tokito and Shinazugawa safe and sound. Unlike me, they deserve to see tomorrow.

Let me see her alive one last time before my death comes.

************************************************
There's no way Shinazugawa-sama can keep up alone for long! Chizuko pulled at the hilt of her katana, but the blade had been twisted, the excruciating pain made it difficult for her to focus her remaining strength on pulling it out. Beads of sweat rolled from her forehead, she gritted her teeth, don't think for a second that you can't do it!

Chizuko struggled hopelessly as Sanemi got wounded over and over and over, she could almost see his intestines sliding out from his abdomen. He's going to die!! Come on!!! Why won't it move!!? Chizuko tasted something salty, tears were spilling nonstop from her eyes. Sanemi was the person to save her life in the very beginning, she wouldn't be here if it weren't for him, why couldn't she do anything to help him right now?

A spiked metallic ball was swung in front of Sanemi just on time. The Wind hashira would have met his end if it had arrived a second later.

A shot of relief flooded through Chizuko, Muichiro and Genya who could do nothing but watch. Gyomei, the strongest of the entire demon slaying corps, was here.

Almost! Almost! Just a little more! Muichiro felt himself tipping over, it was a good sign. Panting heavily, he gave the blade a big tug, freeing himself from being nailed to the pillar. Dropping to the tiles, he groaned as he yanked the sword out from his chest, bending over because of the numbing, unbearable pain. Tying his wounds to slow his bleeding, Muichiro rushed to Chizuko, "Chizuko! D-Don't move! I'll get you out! Hold onto me for support!"

Pulling carefully, Muichiro tried his best to lessen the pain for Chizuko. But his efforts were unsuccessful due to the crescent shape design of Chizuko's katana, thus he had to twist it in the opposite direction before he could remove it. He could almost feel her pain as her nails dug into his arms. Muichiro's heart pained as he saw how Chizuko squeezed her eyes shut, how pale her cheeks had become, just a few more seconds, Chizuko, hang on.

Clang. Chizuko's katana fell to the floor.

"It's okay... It's okay..." catching Chizuko in his arms, Muichiro whispered soothing words into her ear, "I've got you... I'm here..."

"T-Tokito-san! Chizuko-san!" Genya called out to the two, quite surprised as he thought the duo were dead for sure, "Th-Thank goodness you're still alive!! Please help me push my body back together!"