Chapter 19

A boy with a kitsune mask sliced the demon's head off.

"Hey, are you alright? I saw you rolling off that cliff," the boy helped Chizuko up, "you're bleeding!"

Chizuko blinked, tearing her gaze from his beautiful mask, "I-I'm fine! Thank you for saving my life! I'm Suzuki Chizuko, and you?" "I'm Shimizu Haruto, a pleasure to meet you, Suzuki-san," Haruto grinned.

"It was nice meeting you too, Shimizu-san, but I have to go now, my friend is still waiting for me," Chizuko knitted her eyebrows, what if Aoi-chan runs into another group of demons? "Can I come with you?" Haruto asked. Chizuko nodded, "Of course! Let's go."

************************************************
By the time Chizuko and Shimizu went up the hill, Aoi was no where to be found.

Chizuko felt as if someone had poured ice water on her, please be alright until I find you, Aoi-chan. She promised to go through the seven nights together with Aoi and now they were separated. She didn't dare to imagine what might go wrong. Does she have someone with her? Is she all alone? Is she hurt?

"Suzuki-san?" Haruto poked Chizuko's shoulder, "Oi, Suzuki-san?" "H-Hai!" Chizuko looked at Haruto, did he say something? "Sorry, I... I was thinking of my friend." "It's fine," Haruto shrugged, he understood her worries, he would have felt terrible too if he were her, "Who is your teacher? My first teacher was Urokodaki-san, he is the former water hashira. He made me this mask before sending me off to my brother, I continued my training with another teacher three years ago," Haruto pointed to his mask.

"I see. Your mask is very nice, I like foxes a lot," Chizuko smiled, "My teacher is Iguro Obanai." Haruto gaped, "Eh!!? No way! The current serpent hashira? What is he like? What breathing style do you use?" "Though Iguro-sama is a meanie, he is surprisingly easy to prank. As for breathing style, I use fox breathing," Chizuko explained. "Fox breathing? Did you come up with it yourself?" Haruto was astonished, "I can only master half of the water breathing forms."

The two chattered along the way, occasionally slashing demons and sharing food. Chizuko kept and eye out for Aoi, three nights had passed but there was still no sign of her. Is Aoi injured? Is she... dead? Chizuko couldn't bear to ponder on those thoughts, it was her fault they separated, she shouldn't have leapt onto that demon next to a slope.

It was the fourth night and distant screams caught the duo's attention. Hiding behind the tall trees,their faces paled at the sight.

Chizuko's heart sank, what is that thing? It looked like the monsters straight out of Naho, Sumi and Kiyo's story books. It had so many hands, a disgusting laugh, and a bad temper.

It extended its hands and grabbed at three people on the side. Holding a girl by the ankle, it lifted her to his oversized mouth. Illness rushed up from Chizuko's stomach to her throat, is it going to eat her? That girl had piggy tails like Aoi.

Hold up.

Chizuko bolted out from her hiding spot, "AOI!!!!" She screamed, pulling out the curved sword she borrowed from Sanemi, "Fox breathing, second form, Yako, Mischief!"

Seeing the hands approaching Chizuko from the back, Haruto also dashed out, "Water breathing, third form, Flowing Dance!"

Aoi had her eyes closed, thinking it was her end, until she heard a familiar voice, "Chizuko!" Chizuko stood in front of Aoi, "Run! I... Shimizu-san and I will hold this thing back!" Aoi wiped her tears, "No! I am staying here with you!"

"One two three... twelve, that makes you the thirteenth," the demon started snickering and counting to himself. The three shuddered, Haruto exclaimed, "What are you talking about!"