Chapter 13

Shinobu stood at the gates with Aoi, Kanao, Chizuko, Naho, Sumi and Kiyo.

"Stay safe, Hina-chan, Ichika-chan. Do not be scared, remember everything I have taught you," Shinobu placed her hands on the shoulders of the two girls, "and good luck. Remember that we would always support you." Her eyes became glossy, she remembered like it was yesterday. They were shorter than her when she and Kanae took them in, now they had become taller than her.

"We won't let you down! Master!" Hina grinned. Ichika nodded, "We will do our best, Master."

"See y'all soon!" The two girls waved as they started their long journey.

"Hey! Is there anyone here?" Shinobu ventured through the broken house. Kanae and her were sent to a village, they had just finished off the demon and were searching for survivors. "Help!" a small voice called from under the debris. Shinobu sprinted to the source, prying pieces of wood and bricks away. She found two little girls in the corner of a fallen roof, they were miraculously unscathed.

She and Kanae accompanied the two little girls in search of their parents. Sadly, they found their parents among the dead. The Kocho sisters comforted the weeping girls, they knew exactly how it hurts. "The two of you can stay with us until your relatives agree to take you in, what are your names?" Kanae offered. "I am Hina Kikuchi, and this is Ichika Sano," the short haired girl spoke for her friend who hid behind her, "our families have been neighbours for many years."

The demon slaying corps contacted the girls' relatives, but none were willing to care for the girls. Like herself and Kanae, the two girls quickly agreed to train to become demon slayers.

It was indeed strange, the way tragedy connected people.

"Hina-chan! Ichika-Chan! We'll wait for you to come back at the gates!" Chizuko yelled, "Please come back soon!"

"Dinner will be waiting at the table so don't be late!" Aoi shouted as well.

"Hina-san! Ichika-san! Ganbatte!" Naho, Sumi and Kiyo cried.

Kanao waved, please come home together.

"We will!" They heard Hina and Ichika's distant reply.

************************************************
"Hachi? Can you tell me more about Uzui-sama?" Chizuko asked the crow.

"CAW! Flamboyant! Flamboyant!" Hachi cawed. Flamboyant? Chizuko scratched her head, what is that supposed to mean?

"Uzui-sama is tall like a mountain!" Naho had exclaimed. She had asked if the girls had seen Uzui before. Kiyo had nodded, "And he is super duper strong! Shinobu-sama asked him to carry the rice one time!" "And also the new beds!" Sumi had added.

Hachi stopped, "CAW! We have arrived! We have arrived!" "Thanks, Hachi," Chizuko nodded to Hachi and raised her hand to knock on the gates, "Sumimasen*! Is Uzui-sama here?"

Chizuko and Hachi waited, but no one came. "That's odd," Chizuko murmured to herself. Hachi gave the wooden gate a push with its feet, "CAW! It's not locked!" Would it be impolite? Perhaps no one has heard her, but it is rude to enter someone's house without permission! Maybe she should wait at the gates, she doesn't want to upset Uzui-sama.

"CAW! Just go in!" Hachi urged Chizuko. "B-But..!" "CAW! Go in!" Hachi insisted.

Okay, here goes nothing, Chizuko went in through the gates. She observed the estate, it was at the bottom of a mountain, she could hear the faint sound of water flowing across pebbles. It also had more shrubbery and was more neat than Obanai's. Speaking of cleanliness, perhaps she should tidy Obanai's estate sometime, he had many scrolls and it was always dusty.