Chapter 44.5

"TANJIRO-SAN AND CHIZUKO-SAN ARE GONE!!!!" Kiyo exclaimed, accidentally bumping Zenitsu's chin a bit too hard.

"I'm sorry!!!" Kiyo apologised profusely, handing Zenitsu a handkerchief to dry his nosebleed, "Zenitsu-san!!! Are you alright?"

Although his vision was spinning, Zenitsu answered, "I'm fine! I'm fine!"

"Tanjiro-san is nowhere to be found!! A-And Chizuko-san went disappearing too! Th-They both started training without permission!! Shinobu-san was already livid about that!!!" Kiyo explained, panicking even more, "Tanjiro-san's  wound hasn't healed yet!! And Chizuko-san's bones aren't repaired either!!!"

"Huh!!?" Zenitsu frowned, "A-Are they crazy!!? Tanjiro's wound is too deep for him to move around like this! And Chizuko-chan, how is she still able to stand up when almost all of the bones in her upper body was smashed!!?"

************************************************
Muichiro was passing by a town after a mission.

"Ikinari dango!" a vendor shouted, "Come and buy the most delicious Ikinari dango at a special price today!"

Staring at the confection, Muichiro involuntarily reached for his wallet, something about this dessert was familiar, it was like... perhaps....

He had had it with someone important before.

Muichiro continued down his path home after his purchase.

************************************************
"Suzuki," Obanai appeared behind Chizuko, "Kocho is looking for you."

Chizuko slowly turned from Kyojuro's grave, wiping her tears.

Her eyes widened in shock as Obanai reached to ruffle her hair.

Obanai knew his movements were cautious and hesitant, and perhaps robotic. He was trying his best to imitate Kyojuro, though he was very sure that his hands were colder and smaller than the former Flame hashira, his old friend.

No, Obanai wasn't trying to replace Kyojuro. He just wanted Suzuki, his former tsuguko, the closest person to a sister he had, to know that she still had another big brother she could count on. Although that big brother wasn't good at expressing himself, nor is prone to be kind and encouraging.

"He wants us to stand up instead of grieving," Obanai recalled Kyojuro's motto, blinking back tears, "To have blazing hearts and passion. To keep on fighting until we defeat Kibutsuji Muzan."

I will, Rengoku-sama. Chizuko bowed before leaving with Obanai.

************************************************
Chizuko was locked up in the butterfly mansion by Shinobu, a punishment for sneaking out.

She didn't mean to upset Shinobu, Chizuko knew Shinobu was concerned about her health. But Chizuko felt bad for not attending Kyojuro's funeral because of her fractured bones and sickness, so she had to go visit his grave once she could walk again.

Chizuko almost jumped out of bed as Muichiro entered through the window.

"M-Muichiro-kun!!?" Chizuko bent down to pick up her blanket, "What-no, why did you climb the window!? I-It's dangerous and-"

"All the doors are locked. And I bought this for you," Muichiro cut in, placing the Ikinari dango on the bedside table.

"Oh... right," Chizuko gulped, Shinobu was really very angry. Chizuko opened the box, a familiar scent flowed into her nostrils.

Tears overflowed from her eyes.

Chizuko was brought back to the night where paper lanterns lit up the sky, where laughter and joy filled the air.

It was her first time visiting a town.

"Umai! Umai! Umai!" She could hear Kyojuro's booming voice again, could see his contagious smile again, could feel him beside her again.

Chizuko took a bite.

The pastry didn't taste as good as she remembered. It was salty because of her tears, bitter because of her heart. And the lump in her throat was making it difficult for her to swallow.

Perhaps some flavours could only be revisited in a memory.

Still, Chizuko forced a bright smile despite the tears,

"Umai! Umai! Umai!"

Muichiro hugged Chizuko as she collapsed in sobs.