Chapter 61

"What are you thinking about?" Muichiro sat down next to Chizuko, handing her a cup of water.

"Ah, thanks, Mui-kun," Chizuko snapped out of her thoughts. Muichiro was never late to come to her place every morning, keeping her company while she had to take medicine. Opening the small wooden box that sat on her lap, Chizuko picked at the different tablets and pills, "Nothing much... Just..."

"The battle?" Muichiro finished the sentence for Chizuko, "I've been thinking about it, too."

Chizuko turned to Muichiro, "Really?" Although she was pondering on the conversation she had with Kagaya and Tamayo last night, she had to admit that the upcoming battle had been occupying her mind as well.

"I've been thinking about... after the battle. What do you want to do after the battle?" Muichiro asked.

Chizuko blinked, after the battle? She had never imagined a life other than being a demon slayer after joining the corps. Although the chances of surviving were slim according to Obanai, Kagaya and Tamayo, there seemed to be a whole new future ahead of them all. She scratched her head, "Well... Honestly, I've never thought about that. What about you?"

"In that case..." Muichiro leaned against Chizuko's shoulder, looking to the fluffy white clouds illuminated by the dawn, "Guess we will find out about that together after the battle."

We, together.

Once she was this girl who feared of abandonment, that people would just leave her someday because they didn't like her.

Now, there was someone promising her a tomorrow together.

Chizuko nodded and smiled, holding out her pinkie, "Promise?"

"Promise," Muichiro beamed, linking their pinkie fingers.

************************************************
"CHIZUKO-CHAAANNNN!!!!!" Zenitsu screamed for help.

"Shut up," the bias was clear as day and night, Muichiro had absolutely no compassion for people other than Chizuko, the Ubuyashiki family and the Kamado siblings, "you are a dumb slowpoke."

"Sorry! Zenitsu-kun! I'm a bit busy right now! Please wait for a moment!" Chizuko was training another batch of slayers, with an unnecessary amount of traps.

With his incredible sixth sense, Inosuke was the only one successful in evading all of Chizuko's traps, "MHAHAHA! The great Inosuke is not afraid of your tricks!! I will defeat you and become hashira!! Chusaro!! Just wait and see!!"

"That's great! Inosuke-kun! Ganbatte!" Chizuko cheered him on, "You can do it!"

Their fellow demon slayers started coming for quick movement training sessions a few days ago. Divided into two groups by drawing lots, the slayers trained under either Chizuko or Muichiro.

Everyone had been praying to the gods that they would be sent to Chizuko's group.

"Alright! Guys! A five minute break!" Chizuko went on to disable the traps for her trainees, "Do you all need some water?"

"Hai! Fox hashira-sama! Arigatou!" the ones from Chizuko's group almost cheered, the Fox hashira was always known to be kind and sweet.

Muichiro's group watched with envious eyes as Chizuko went to the kitchen to fetch water and some cups. Zenitsu would gladly kill that lucky bastard named Inosuke and take his place in Chizuko's group. The boy next to Zenitsu raised his hand, asking timidly, "Mist hashira-sama...? May we have some water too? P-Perhaps a little rest? W-We've been going on nonstop and..."

"What did you just say?" Muichiro cut in, "You unskillful dummies should train until next morning."

The slayers erupted in agonising wails as Muichiro continued brandishing his wooden staff at them.