Chapter 40

"M-Mui-kun!" Chizuko was honestly caught off guard, "I-I... er..."

Yes! Tell him you need to go now! A voice inside her yelled. Chizuko opened her mouth, but words failed to come out as she saw the expectation in Muichiro's eyes.

"Stay with us," it was as if Muichiro could read her mind, he raised his hands to cup her cheeks.

Chizuko gulped, the gesture reminded her of that night when the moon was bright and round, where the fireflies lit up the garden, where she confessed her secret condition to Muichiro. One of her most treasured memories.

Chizuko's breath hitched, she leaned into his hands. She didn't want to leave him, not now, perhaps never.

"Wh-What if I told you you would not be yourself anymore one day, and have forgotten about me?" Chizuko asked, failing to blink back her tears.

Muichiro's eyes widened slightly, he quickly reached to wipe her tears.

"W-Will you ever remember me again if that happened?" Chizuko tried hard to keep her voice steady and unbroken.

"Did you fold all those cranes?" it was the first time Chizuko invited Muichiro to have dinner at her place. Chizuko chewed the inside of her cheek, she didn't know what to answer, he had completely forgotten about folding her a thousand paper cranes, the night she accidentally fell asleep on his shoulder. Chizuko forced a smile, "N-No, Muichiro-kun, it was from someone important a long time ago."

"Muichiro-kun?" Chizuko knitted her eyebrows, "Wh-Why did you scold Saito-san just now? He was at the uniform department first and-" "They should know better," Muichiro cut in, "We are hashira, we don't have all day waiting. It is a waste of time waiting for them to finish." Chizuko froze, it was the first time she heard Muichiro say something such harsh and inconsiderate.

"Tokito-sama!" her soft brown hair was illuminated by the sun, gleaming in gold. Chizuko watched as the fair-skinned girl approached Muichiro, chirping happily, "What a coincidence! We're on the same mission again! Do you remember my name?" Though Muichiro blatantly ignored her and continued down the path, Chizuko couldn't help but catch a strange feeling, as if a feral beast was let loose, roaring and thrashing in her heart. It was completely different from seeing Mitsuri with Obanai.

"Chizuko," Muichiro held her hands, "Look at me."

Chizuko sniffed, gazing into the pair of lively mint green eyes she longed to see.

"If that unlucky day really comes," Muichiro smiled, "please remember that you will always be in here," he placed her palm above his heart.

Chizuko's eyes widened, Tanjiro's words from not long ago replayed in her mind.

"I'm sure Tokito-san will remember you soon! He cares deeply for you! Chizuko-san! I can smell it! Please do not loose hope! You may not see the results immediately, but I believe someday your efforts will pay off! Just as how Nezuko is improving bit by bit, Tokito-san will retrieve his memories someday!"

"Thank you, Mui-kun," Chizuko hugged him for the last time, "I-I have somewhere to go now, I won't be back until a while."

"But... I promise I'll find you someday! Mui-kun! Just you wait!" Chizuko turned away and sprinted out of the door.

She did not dare to look back as tears spilled from her eyes.

************************************************
How do I get out of this dream!?

Chizuko stopped to catch her breath, adrenaline coursed through her veins and the fear she felt escalated. Why can't she wake up?

Shivering, Chizuko rubbed her hands. The night sky was blocked by big, grey clouds, the weather was growing colder and colder, a snowstorm may be coming.