Chapter 22

Kaburamaru was hanging on Obanai's shoulders before being thrown onto the deck.

He hissed, at the same time knew something went wrong.

Even so, he was too late.

Kaburamaru attached himself onto Obanai's arm and tugged with all his might, pulling his arm away, along with the sword. Hissing, he got hurled onto the floor again.

Pressing onto the deep wound on her stomach, Chizuko dodged just in time before Obanai sliced her neck, a big chunk of her hair was cut instead. Nausea bubbled up from her throat, the blood red water dissolved her hair like the acid she had seen in Shinobu's office.

"Igu-" "How dare you hurt Kanroji!" Obanai howled, veins popped out from his neck and forehead. Chizuko stepped back, "Iguro-sama! What are you talking about!"

Chizuko suppressed a gasp as a horrendous looking mask with long horns and sharp teeth stuck onto her face.

"You murdered her!" Obanai accused. In his eyes, he saw Mitsuri's lifeless body on the floor, covered in blood. Before him stood the culprit, his tsuguko with blood stained hands. He charged foward furiously, ready to take his revenge. No one could harm Mitsuri and get away with it, not when he was around, not even his beloved student. He shrugged off the voice in him that questioned the scene, white hot furry had caged his ration.

Dizziness distorted Chizuko's thinking, sinister scenes flashed before her eyes. The empty bottle of pesticide on the stove, Mitsuri having soup by the table, the acrid vomit on the wooden tiles, the razor-sharp vegetable knife, blots of blood on the screen doors. Unreasonable hate took hold of her consciousness, she swung her sword to ward off Obanai.

"CAW! CAW!" travelling through the whirlwind of slashes and slices, Hachi flew into Obanai's face. Seizing the chance, Kaburamaru curled himself around Chizuko's ankles, causing her to trip. He pulled on Chizuko's mask, but it refused to budge. Seeing no other solution, he buried his fangs into her arm. Chizuko halted, the flashbacks had stopped as purplish blood leaked out of the bite.

Wham! Obanai smashed the boat, corrosive scarlet liquid gushed through the cracks.

"Kaburamaru!" Chizuko extended her arm for him to climb on, leaping to the nearest branch at the last moment. What is going on? What's with the mask? Why am I seeing those things? How do we get out without the boat? Chizuko was in absolute chaos, and it hurt to move.

"HACHI!" Chizuko shrieked upon noticing how the branches wrapped around Hachi's wings and feet. Hachi cried while desperately flapping her wings, struggling to break free, "CAW CAW!" "Hang on!" Chizuko held onto her bleeding side, "I'm coming!"

A high pitched voice echoed throughout the lush forest, "After committing her unforgivable crimes, the disdainful student meets her revengeful master in this fateful night."

"CAW! DANGER! BEHIND!" Hachi warned. Chizuko lunged for another branch just before Obanai cut her and Kaburamaru into half. "Igur-" she was cut off when the branch below her feet swatted her away. Chizuko was slammed onto a trunk and her shoulder twisted in an unnatural angle. Looks like she would have to save Hachi later.

"Even the spirits of the sakura trees refuse to help the lowly student," the voice sighed dramatically. Darting through the forest one jump at a time, Chizuko's vision spun and blurred, she was running out of breath sooner than normal. Was her nose fooling her? Did the floral scent grow stronger?

Chizuko almost dropped her blade upon severing several branches, deafening shrieks of agony pained her ears. "What is this place! Let us out!" "Don't! Don't eat her! I'm begging you!" "Please spare us!" "SAVE US!"