Chapter 65

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!? CAW!!!" Ginko yelled as Hachi dove down, "CAW!!!! HACHI!!!! COME BACK!!!!! BAKA!!!!!"

"GINKO!!! LOOK AFTER MY MASTER FOR ME!!!!!" Hachi dashed towards Chizuko, who was kicked off the Upper Moon by Muichiro.

Her eye was bleeding nonstop, what happened? One moment she was flying in the sky like usual, the next she was hit by something sharp. "CAW!!!! Hang on!!!!" another crow had told her while trying to alert the demon slayers, "CAW!!!!! KASUGAI CROW INJURED!!! HELP!!!"

"I'm sorry, Hachi," her first owner had told her, "I just... I... I want a crow with normal vision. It will be safer for the both of us." She left her at the headquarters, Hachi had never seen her ever since. What had she became? Did she die? Hachi never knew.

"Hachi, don't be sad," Kagaya stroked her head. They were on the Fujikasane Mountain, where the Final Selection took place every time when the wisterias bloomed. Hachi had been rejected yet again by a potential owner. She understood, no one wanted a impaired crow when they could choose a normal one. "You will find the right owner someday," Kagaya promised, yet Hachi was doubtful.

Until Chizuko appeared.

"Oyakata-sama, can I keep Hachi if I become a demon slayer?" Hachi couldn't believe her ears as the words slipped from this young girl's mouth. She was quite sure that the tiny girl must had been merely curious, she would return her soon, like many before her.

Yet she was wrong, Chizuko was quick to accept her, a single-eyed crow.

"Hachi! This is called 'candy'! Shinobu-san brought some home today! Let's try it together!" of course Hachi knew what the colourful, sugary treat was, but it was the first time a human offered to share food with her.

Hachi always held this silent grudge towards Obanai. Didn't he see how precious Chizuko was? Why did he bully her? Just what kind of teacher was he? Why was Chizuko so loyal to him? Humans were strange creatures indeed. She would utilise every chance she could to make life difficult for Obanai, like screaming louder than ever into his ears whenever she was sent to give him a message. Hachi did soften in the end, but not before the Serpent hashira learned to treasure her master.

Hachi went on the adventures of a life time with Chizuko as she climbed the ranks. There were countless times when Hachi thought she'd loose Chizuko, including that time in the sakura forest, that time in a bank in Hokkaido, that time when she got off a train, and the last time she battled this six-eyed demon. She had to admit she grew attached, she didn't want to loose this master.

She was happy for Chizuko, happy that there were so many people who became her family. Hachi was even happier when Muichiro came along as more than a friend. There was someone who cared for her master more than anyone would have been. What do humans call that again... Lovers, right? They certainly were, and he certainly was the one. Watching them hold hands, cloud gaze, sleep over, cuddle was like having candy, sweet and blissful. Although Ginko was an annoying newbie, it was truly the only complaint Hachi had about Muichiro.

Hachi pulled Chizuko's katana off Kokushibo.

Chizuko,

She spread her wings to shield her master.

Having served you is the greatest honour in my life.

She opened her beak,

Sayonara.

"CAW!!!! LOOK-"

************************************************
This is just a nightmare, right?