Chapter 46

How... How can you still be so happy?

Obanai was moving their baggages to the corner when a box fell out of Chizuko's bag.

He knew he shouldn't look, he shouldn't be probing into Suzuki's privacy. But it was as if he lost control his hands, after all, the box made a rattling sound.

He couldn't describe what he was feeling, an orchestra of emotions reverberated in his chest as he stared at the multicoloured pills.

Pine green, candy red, flamingo pink, tangerine orange, he could identify several colours. Capsule, diamond, almond, oval, square, he couldn't point out all the shapes.

Stop it, Obanai's fingers were trembling, his mind was in such chaos that he lost count of how many tablets there were.

"Iguro-sama?" the doors of the toilet slid open, the box almost slid out of Obanai's grasp as he threw it back into Chizuko's bag. Scratching her head, Chizuko laughed nervously, "I think I forgot something..."

"Make it quick," Obanai forced himself to regain his composure. They had stopped by a wisteria house to evaluate the information they collected.

"Alright alright," Chizuko took something from her bag and hid it behind her back, "I'll be quick."

The turmoil of emotions returned to Obanai as the sound of water splashing came from behind the screen doors. He peered down at the bags, the box just now was gone.

Suzuki didn't want him seeing her take her medicine.

"Ara Ara, Iguro-san? Iguro-san!" Shinobu's sugary voice snapped Obanai out of his thoughts, "You have been standing by the door for quite some time now! What are you doing here at this hour?"

"Why does Suzuki have so much medicine," Obanai tried to keep his voice calm, devoid of the anxiety bubbling in his heart.

"I have some new findings about Chizuko-chan's condition," Shinobu entered her office, gesturing for Obanai to follow her. Carefully avoiding the fragile microscope and glass flasks, Obanai approached Shinobu's lamp lit desk piled with mountains of files and notes.

"I found that Chizuko-chan's blood is like clay now," Shinobu opened one of her notebooks, "It can be easily shaped like clay. Her situation can probably improve if we can find a way to manipulate her blood cells, most preferably the lymphocytes, the B cells and T cells-"

"So basically there's a possibility that you can cure Suzuki?" Obanai cut in, science wasn't one of his specialties. Shinobu nodded, "Yes, there's a possibility. I might want to experiment some medicine on her, but... there might be some side effects."

According to Suzuki, the side effects were 'minor' compared to the previous discomforts she felt when she was near to demons. But spending the past two weeks with her, Obanai had to think otherwise.

He had seen how Suzuki suddenly ran to the toilet bowl to vomit during meals sometimes, how she couldn't fall asleep at night, how her nose bled without reason, how her headaches were so overwhelming that she had to lean against the wall for support.

Yet she insisted that everything was fine as long as she could fight with less burdens.

Obanai honestly didn't not know what to feel.

"Ehh!!? We are having tempura tonight!" Chizuko's excited squeal dragged Obanai back to reality, he was so absorbed that he wasn't aware of the dinner delivered to their room.

"Come on! Iguro-sama! Let's eat!" Chizuko was brimming with joy, "I'm starving!"

Obanai nodded, plopping down onto the seat opposite to her.