Chapter 48

"CAW! Message for Iguro Obanai! Message for Iguro Obanai!" a crow with a silky purple scarf zoomed in through the window, "Uzui Tengen has requested for support! Upper Moon discovered in the entertainment district! Iguro Obanai! Please head to the entertainment district now!"

Chizuko and Obanai's eyes went wide, it was the first time in years that the demon slayers encountered an Upper Moon.

"I-Iguro-sama! You should go!" Chizuko came back to her senses first, "Uzui-sama must be in danger! I can handle the investigation! We only have one or two mentors we haven't visited!"

Obanai nodded, "I'll be going then, Suzuki."

"See you soon, Iguro-sama," Chizuko waved him goodbye.

************************************************
Chizuko was tidying Obanai's notes after he left.

"CAW! Help! Help!" a crow came flying in, flapping its bloodied wings frantically, "Patrol team ambushed! Patrol team ambushed! CAW! Immediate help is needed!"

"E-Ehh!!?" Chizuko leapt to her feet, "Hachi! Let's go!"

************************************************
Kaigaku scanned the muddy forest road.

A satisfied smirk crept up his lips as he watched some lower ranked demon slayers, who were struck by his kekkijutsu, writhed on the floor.

Good, his blood demon art is growing stronger, he has struck down more people than the last time. Twisted exhilaration filled his heart, he was strong and powerful, more capable than some old trash deemed him. He was approved by the one who granted him his new strength, he thanked whoever that was dumb enough to stick the patrol list somewhere so obvious.

"You have improved," a deadly, cold voice came from his back, "I will recommend you to be a Lower Moon if he decides to resume the positions of Lower Moons."

"Thank you, Kokushibou-sama," Kaigaku turned and bowed to his six-eyed savour.

"So," Kokushibou approached Kaigaku, "You know what you have to do in order to be stronger. Demons cannot survive by simply drinking the blood of humans."

A chill was sent down Kaigaku's spine, he used every ounce of willpower he had to prevent himself from shivering. Eating humans, that was still something he had yet to overcome.

"Remember, only by then you can unlock the door to your true strength. Sacrifices must be made in order to peruse new heights," Kokushibou stated, placing his icy palm on Kaigaku's shoulder. He understood his hesitation though, it was hard consuming the first person, "I will be by the side if you have any more questions."

"Hai," Kaigaku bowed deeply again, looks like there is no more room for procrastination, he has to what must be done.

After all, there was no turning back.

He wasn't at fault, he was doing this to survive.

************************************************
"Fox hashira-sama!!" a few injured members who fled called out, "Over here! Help!"

"What happened!?" spotting the unconscious boy amongst them, Chizuko sprinted towards them with her first aid box.

"We were attacked by black lightning!" one of them reported while Chizuko bandaged the wounded slayer, "We were just walking and then suddenly heard something like thunder rumbling! W-We are the only ones that escaped! O-Our team has twenty mizunoe!"

"T-Twenty!?" Chizuko glanced at the four members, there were sixteen people left behind.

"I-I think I saw a demon with six eyes!" a girl sobbed, "I-It was so scary! I-I couldn't breathe around it!"