Chapter 17

"Iguro-sama is coming back tonight!" Chizuko looked up from the letter. The mission took longer than they expected, it had been three months since she last saw him.

"I better cook him something! What do you think he'll like? Hachi?" Chizuko lowered her wooden sword, "I should probably clean the house. Oh! And we need new bandages!" Hachi huffed, that serpent hashira never appreciated anything her owner did, why was she so nice to him? Still, she followed after Chizuko. The kid had shown improvement in the past month, Hachi was happy to see how Chizuko became less cautious and more playful.

Grabbing the apron, Chizuko started her work.

************************************************
Staggering a bit, Obanai tumbled back to his estate.

Didn't I turn off the lights? Oh, right, Suzuki. Why was she still up at this hour? Didn't she have training early in the morning? Obanai frowned, Suzuki was not a three year old, he didn't want to discipline her on sleeping. Shouldn't she know how to take care of herself?

Passing by the kitchen, he realised she wasn't in the house. Where is she? Kaburamaru slithered off his shoulder, heading somewhere. Obanai scrambled behind his friend, "Hey...! Kaburamaru!"

"Fox breathing, first form, Byyako, Foxfire!" Chizuko zoomed across the dojo, slicing through the sash of bamboos in the middle.

Obanai stood frozen, did his eyes fool him? Once again he was relieved for his mask. It was that funny feeling again, as if sunlight had reached the darkest corners of his soul. His mind couldn't process, how? Sweat trickled off her eyebrows, there was new found steel in her eyes he had never seen.

Rubbing his temple, Obanai sighed, "No." Suzuki flinched at his voice. He couldn't understand why she hesitated every time, it made her movements stiff, it was like her body didn't know how to catch up with her mind. Her arms and legs didn't cooperate, to be honest, she looked like a puppet. Observing the girl who was almost trembling, anger simmered in Obanai, "Are you even going to do it? Hesitate and you die, it is as simple as that."

"Iguro-sama! You're back!" Chizuko was over the moon, he's finally back! She ran to him with her arms open, engulfing him in a bone-crushing hug. She is just so happy!

Obanai froze even more, what the heck is going on? He willed his hands to push her away, but he was too shaken to do so. Glancing at Chizuko, he noticed she grew taller, and was less bony. Kaburamaru gladly observed the two, relieved that they had hope of getting along.

It was not long before Chizuko acknowledged her actions, she released Obanai in a frenzy, "A-Ah! Gomenasai! Iguro-sama! I-I... er... I'll heat up dinner for you!" She bolted to the kitchen with a prominent blush that was redder than her hair.

Great job making things awkward! Chizuko! What would Iguro-sama think of you! He must hate you more now! Chizuko covered her face, dying of embarrassment. Why did she hug him? What was wrong with her! Her heart was beating so fast that it would've jumped out of her rib cage if she stayed like that for an extra minute. Lightly slapping herself, she turned to the stove.

Kaburamaru guided Obanai back into the house. Not yet recovering from his shock, Obanai did everything in slow motion. A part of him felt disgusted, he disliked close contact, especially from a girl. A small part of him felt horrified, just what was that? He had never received a hug. Another part of him felt warmth he had never experienced, it felt good to know that there was someone out there waiting for you.

"Suzuki?" He entered the dining room, a tray of food sat on the table, and Suzuki sat opposite to it. Obanai sat down and found her asleep. Smiling to himself, he carefully placed his haori on her.