Chapter 18

Shinobu eyed Chizuko who was mixing medicine next to her.

She remembered the first night she met Chizuko. Shinobu herself was small compared to her fellow corp members, but Chizuko was even more tiny and frail. Chizuko went from apologising for everything to finally having some confidence in herself, she could often see her enjoy teasing Obanai. Chizuko was now as tall as her, and Shinobu was glad that Chizuko had much more strength than her.

It was a day until the final selection.

Aoi would be going with Chizuko. Shinobu was relieved that at least the the girls had each other. She worried for them, especially Chizuko. Aoi was taught by Kanae and her according to scrolls, but Chizuko made her own breath, with only three forms at the moment. She could only pray that the both of them could come home in one piece.

And of course, she couldn't forget about Hina. She was afraid, was she sending Aoi and Chizuko to die? What if one of them died, and the other had to suffer permanent guilt like Ichika? She had seen how guiltiness consumed Ichika, she didn't want a repeat.

"Shinobu-san?" Chizuko tapped Shinobu's shoulder lightly, is Shinobu-san alright? Maybe there's too much work at the butterfly mansion, she looks tired. Shinobu snapped out of her thoughts, "Ara ara, I see you have finished. Good job, Chizuko-chan. You should go back to the serpent estate early, remember to sleep well." "Hai, Shinobu-san, you too," Chizuko beamed, feeling fuzzy inside, Shinobu was always so thoughtful.

Shinobu walked Chizuko to the gates, "Chizuko-chan?" Chizuko turned with a puzzled look. Shinobu hugged Chizuko, "Remember to come home safely with Aoi-chan, I'll see you again tomorrow before the both of you depart."

Chizuko nodded, "I promise, Shinobu-san."

************************************************
The plate nearly slipped from Aoi's hands.

She was terrified, tomorrow was the final selection. Was she really ready? She had always been behind Hina and Ichika, and she certainly wasn't as talented as Chizuko. She had just chatted with Chizuko, clearly she too was nervous. Anything could happen, they could both die, or loose a limb, or go blind.

"Aoi-chan, I'll have your back no matter what," Chizuko had told her.

No, she didn't want Chizuko to die for her. They would work together to survive.

"Aoi-chan?" Shinobu was beside her suddenly. Aoi nearly dropped the plate again, "Sh-Shinobu-san!" "You can do this," it was as if Shinobu could read her mind, "you are a determined girl, headstrong even. You remind me of what I used to be like."

Aoi hugged Shinobu, "Thank you, Shinobu-san, for everything." Thank you for giving me a family, thank you for thank you for teaching me everything you know, thank you for being there for me, thank you for sacrificing yourself just to see us and many other strangers happy.

It took a lot of strength for Shinobu to hold back her tears, "You are welcome, Aoi-chan, come back safely."

************************************************
She can do this.

Obanai was sitting opposite to Chizuko, watching her eat breakfast in silence. Didn't he wait a long time for this moment? He had wanted to kick her out the moment she entered. He was finally sending her away, she would be going on missions, that was if she came back alive.

She can do this, why is he the one wavering now?

"Iguro-sama?" Chizuko tidied her plate and bowl, "Iguro-sama, I... er... I want to have a word with you." Obanai nodded, what is she up to? Is this another prank?

Chizuko stood and walked in front of Obanai, "Iguro-sama, I know we didn't start off on the best terms, but I am thankful that we got along better. I know I am not the easiest student to teach, a-and to be honest I thought you were so mean and heartless. But I now know that Iguro-sama is more than that, and he never gave up on me even if he may not like me. Thank you, Iguro-sama," she bowed ninety degrees to him.

"And Kaburamaru-kun! Thank you too! You are always such a sweetheart, and you always help me prank Iguro-sama," Chizuko giggled, tears were streaming off her cheeks.

Obanai felt his eyes water. He had been thanked by countless people whom he had saved, some even gave him extravagant gifts. But all of those presents combined were no match to what he heard just now. He was a sinner, he didn't deserve gratefulness, he was repaying his debts. Never had he imagined Suzuki had always thought of him so highly when he treated her badly. Obanai suddenly discovered how little he knew of Chizuko, what is her favourite food? Or colour?

"Suzuki," Obanai stood and picked up her sword and bag, "I'll walk you to the butterfly mansion."

************************************************
Muichiro clung onto Chizuko like a koala, not wanting to let go.

"Muichiro-kun! Don't worry, I'll be back before you know it," Chizuko patted Muichiro's head while returning the gesture. She would definitely miss Muichiro. Ichika placed her hands on both Aoi and Chizuko's shoulder, "Good luck, guys. We can go on missions together soon."

"Aoi-san! Suzuki-san! Ganbatte! Ganbatte! Ganbatte!" Naho, Sumi and Kiyo surrounded Aoi and Chizuko, giving in their best to cheer. Shinobu hugged the girls, "We will be waiting for you. Aoi-chan, Chizuko-chan, good luck."

Obanai handed Chizuko her things, "I'll be waiting at the door for you, come back on time." Kaburamaru nestled against Chizuko's cheek, he would miss the fun she had brought to both him and Obanai. "Hai, Iguro-sama. Brace yourself for new pranks when I get back," Chizuko joked.

"See you all soon!" Aoi and Chizuko waved and waved on the way, until they couldn't see the mansion.

************************************************
Okay, don't panic, you have Aoi-chan with you! Chizuko glanced at Aoi who was fidgeting, it seemed like they were both panicking.

"We thank you for coming here to the demon slaying corps final selection," two children in matching hairstyles and kimonos announced. Oyakata-sama's kids, Aoi and Chizuko were surprised.

Nodding to each other, they stepped into the wisteria mountain with other candidates.

************************************************
"AOI!" Chizuko pounced onto the demon, they rolled off a steep slope.

Aoi got up from the floor, a step away from grasping Chizuko's hands, "CHIZUKO!!"

Crawling up, Chizuko hissed in pain. Her elbows and knees were scraped, multiple cuts from branches and sharp rocks were seen. The demon stepped on her back, pinning her onto the floor. Chizuko yelped, she forgot about him for a second. And a second was enough to take her life.

The demon sniffed hard, "Marechi~ It has been almost a decade since I've tasted such delicacy~" Chizuko kicked and wriggled, unable to reach her sword a few inches away. Familiar anxiousness overtook her mind, what if this is her last? At least she saved Aoi. She was going to disappoint Shinobu, Obanai, Muichiro, Naho, Sumi, Kiyo, Ichika and many other people. Would anyone miss her?

Flashing his sharp teeth, the demon was about to chomp down on her.

"Water breathing, first form, water surface slash!"