Birthday special (1)

Hi :) It's 8th August so... Happy Birthday Muichiro '' I have missed the birthdays of quite a number of characters (I'm sorry () ) , I will write some specials for them too ▽⊙

"Ahhh!" Chizuko pouted, "Aoi-chan! I can't think of what birthday present to give to Mui-kun!"

Aoi knitted her eyebrows, "You mean Tokito-san? Well..." Aoi thought hard, she remembered treating him a few times in the mansion, and Chizuko had sometimes brought him to have dinner with them. But she couldn't tell what he liked, disliked, or anything about him. He was mysterious like the morning mist that comes and goes.

"Why don't you ask him how he used to spend his birthdays before?" Aoi suggested.

************************************************
Chizuko and Muichiro placed the paper boats they folded onto the lake.

"A-Ano... Mui-kun?" Chizuko tapped Muichiro's shoulder, "How do you use to celebrate your birthday?"

Muichiro froze. Was it his birthday already? He had forgotten. Who had he spent his past birthdays with? He had forgotten. Where was he born? He had forgotten.

His complexion was tranquil as ever, but Muichiro could hear his heart thumping against his rib cage. He had forgotten every single thing, as if his past never existed. A weight was stacked on his shoulders, and another, and another, until he found it difficult to breathe. Someone must have been with him, how could he have forgotten?

Sensing Muichiro's uneasiness, Chizuko slapped herself mentally. Great, you just made him feel unhappy! Chizuko! "I-It's okay! Mui-kun!" Chizuko petted his shoulder, "Your birthday is tomorrow! And I will definitely plan an unforgettable birthday for you!"

************************************************
Chizuko slumped on the table, she couldn't come up with anything useful for the past hour.

Chizuko really really really wanted Muichiro to have a happy birthday. She missed his birthday last year because of a mission, she wanted to make up.

"Chizuko-san?" Kiyo tapped her shoulder.

"O-Oh! Kiyo-chan! Naho-chan! Sumi-chan!" Chizuko sat up straight, "What's the matter? Is everything okay?"

The three little girls nodded, Sumi spoke up, "Chizuko-san! We heard you were planning Tokito-san's birthday! And Naho-chan wants to give you a suggestion!"

"Chizuko-san! I-I remember Hina-san used to say that every birthday is special, and what matters is the heart!" Naho smiled.

That's it! Chizuko's eyes sparkled.

"Thank you! Naho-chan! Sumi-chan! Kiyo-chan!"

************************************************
Genya plucked his ears and stuffed his head under the pillow, this is freaking torture!

Chizuko blew on the flute, trying her best to imitate Gyomei desperately. She had heard this western happy birthday song in the city during one of her missions, and thought it would be a nice idea to play it for Muichiro. But it was more difficult than she estimated.

Her fingers were placed on the right holes, but why did her melody sound like something straight out of a haunted house? Chizuko winced occasionally as her flute screeched, she had to admit that she was tone deaf.

"Meeeeooooowwwww!" Gyomei's kittens leapt around the room with puffy tails, finding a possible way to escape from this terrible noise.

Okay, Genya buried himself under more pillows and blankets, rest in peace, ears.

************************************************
"Rengoku-sama! Senjuro-san! Thanks for agreeing to teach me how to make dango," Chizuko scratched her head, "Sorry for coming here suddenly."

"I-It's alright, Suzuki-san," Senjuro smiled, "H-How's your eye? We heard from Kocho-sama about what happened, do you feel better now?"

Chizuko nodded, "I'm alright! It can be inconvenient sometimes but it's tolerable."

"That's great to hear! Young Suzuki!" Kyojuro petted Chizuko's head, he knew that deep down, she also had a blazing heart that darkness couldn't win, "Who are you making dango for?"

"Ah, it's for Mui-kun! I-I mean Tokito Muichiro!" Chizuko's ears turned pink, she isn't supposed to call Muichiro that in front of the Rengoku brothers!

Kyojuro's eyes widened slightly before chuckling, "I see! It is the boy you brought with you to our house for lunch last time! Right? I approve of him! He seems to be good person!"

"R-Rengoku-sama! I-It's not what you think! We are friends!" Chizuko explained frantically, why does everyone keep telling her something similar!? "I-It's just that it's his birthday tomorrow and I want him to have an unforgettable birthday!" Chizuko added quickly.

"I remember when I was small, Mum and Dad used to bring me to the fireworks show when it was my birthday," Senjuro beamed, recalling the happiest moments of his childhood, "the colourful fireworks are very unforgettable."

Fireworks? Chizuko's lips tilted upwards.

************************************************
Chizuko pulled the blindfold from Muichiro's eyes.

"Mui-kun! You can open your eyes now!"

Muichiro's jaw dropped.

Before him was a seemingly boundless grass field. A cute checkered blanket was placed neatly on the soft grass, Chizuko pulled a flute out of the woven basket, "Mui-kun! This is a birthday song I heard in the cities! I-I am not the best musician but please sit down and enjoy!"

Tears rolled in Muichiro's eyes as Chizuko clumsily performed. The music was terrible, it was off-tone, horrendous, and Muichiro swore he saw dozens of birds flying away from the trees. It was all in all...

The sweetest song Muichiro had ever heard.

Chizuko sat beside Muichiro after she finished. Grabbing Muichiro's hands, Chizuko looked straight into his mint green eyes, "Mui-kun, I'm sorry for asking you about what you did in your past birthdays. I just want you to know that it doesn't matter if you remember the past or not. Today is a new day, all I want is for you to feel special at this moment, and be happy with us every day starting from now!"

Chizuko grinned, "So... Happy fourteenth birthday! Mui-kun! I made you dango! And I found some senko hanabi* in town! Let's try it after we eat!"

Muichiro hugged Chizuko, almost knocking her over.

He buried his face in her shoulder. He was trembling, he couldn't describe how overjoyed he was.

Muichiro was afraid. It had been the first time Chizuko asked him about his past, and he couldn't give her an answer. He didn't like it at all, he didn't want to forget everything. He was reminded of all the times when he had forgotten the stories Chizuko told him, the steps of folding paper planes Chizuko taught him, the time to meet with Chizuko outside. He was scared of forgetting about her, what if she became a past he couldn't remember someday?

Then... It turned out all Chizuko wished was for him to be happy in the now.

Muichiro bursted out in laughter.

He is truly happy now.

************************************************
Three semitransparent figures watched from afar as Chizuko and Muichiro played with the sparklers under the shimmering stars.

Happy birthday, Muichiro, they smiled.

*************************************************
*senko hanabi : A traditional Japanese firework, the pointed end is lit and held straight down, so that the flame is at the bottom.

Hope you enjoyed reading*''*)