Chapter 62

"Shinobu-san?"

Eh? Where is she?

Chizuko closed the door to her medicine and equipment cluttered office quietly. She had been coming to the butterfly mansion almost every day for body checks, as requested by Shinobu herself.

She checked several rooms along the corridor, where can Shinobu-san be? Tamayo-san said she's been away for a while.

Chizuko jolted and leapt backwards as she spotted a figure at the corner.

A-A thief!? No wait! I-It's Shinobu-san!? What is she doing?

Removing the stopper of a test tube, Shinobu closed her eyes and downed the semitransparent, pale purple substance in one go.

Wh-What is she drinking?

Is Shinobu-san sick?

A pang of guilt hit Chizuko, thinking that Shinobu dedicated herself to take care of so many of them despite feeling unwell. Maybe she should offer to help out at the butterfly mansion, the pillar training is almost over and fewer people were coming to her and Muichiro's place. Her knowledge of chemistry and biology were very limited, would she be the opposite of a helping hand? What if she made things worse for Shinobu?

"Chizuko-chan?" Shinobu waved her hand in front of Chizuko's eyes, "Moshi moshi?"

Chizuko stumbled backwards, her back hit the wall, "Sh-Shinobu-san!!?"

"Ara, you are early today, Chizuko-chan," Shinobu was a bit concerned about how jumpy Chizuko was all of a sudden, "Is there something wrong? Why were you staring at the window?"

Eh? Window? Chizuko blinked, Shinobu must have thought she was gazing towards the window. "A-Ah, n-nothing much, Shinobu-san! I-I was just looking around for you!"

"Really? You seem to be in deep thought," Shinobu asked while she walked Chizuko to her office, "Is it the battle?"

"N-Not really... A-Actually... Shinobu-san?" Chizuko fiddled with her fingers, "Y-You don't have to force yourself to look after us if you're feeling unwell, y-you should care for yourself more!"

Shinobu knitted her eyebrows, puzzlement was written across her delicate features before she resumed her smile, "I am feeling fine, Chizuko-chan, you don't have to worry for me. What about you? Do you feel any better after taking the new medicine?"

"Eh? Then what were you drinking just now-" Chizuko slapped her palm over her mouth, rats rats rats! Why did she say that!?

"...You saw?" Shinobu gave Chizuko a sad smile, "It's alright, Chizuko-chan, sit down first, I'll explain."

"Had the girls ever told you that... I had a sister named Kanae?" seeing Chizuko's nod, Shinobu continued, "You probably know this already, she was the former Flower hashira. Nee-san... She died in the hands of an Upper Moon years ago, before you were taken here. And Ichika-chan, we believe she and all her other teammates that day... were killed by the same demon."

"I have been taking in wisteria poison for around a year," Shinobu's usual smile faded, "I swore to myself that I would seek vengeance, that I would avenge Nee-san and Ichika-chan no matter what it takes, even if... I wouldn't be able to see tomorrow."

"Chizuko-chan," Shinobu placed her hands on Chizuko's shoulders, "I know it's impossible but... Don't worry for me. I heard from Tamayo-san that Oyakata-sama has a request for you, focus on your part, do not be distracted by me. Everyone has their part to play, I have chosen mine, no one and nothing can change it. So please... don't be afraid for me if you don't see me when the sun rises up again."