Chapter 21

Chizuko stumbled into her room and slumped on her desk.

Missions with Rengoku-sama and Shinazugawa-sama are overwhelming.

Kyojuro was the greatest partner Chizuko could ever ask for. He always protected her whenever she could potentially be in danger, and he was always so energetic even after battling. He didn't mind that she was inexperienced or that she might be a drag on him, he was patient and always had something to teach her.

As for Sanemi, it wasn't that he was a horrible partner. He was very smart actually, though he was constantly angry. It was the amount he bleeds every time that made Chizuko concerned about his health, she had to pack double or even triple amounts of bandages whenever she was going with him.

"Shinazugawa-sama, y-you're bleeding too much!" Chizuko was bandaging multiple cuts at the same time. Sanemi huffed, "Tch, you don't understand, brat. Just shut it." Chizuko sighed, he was hopeless.

"Ne, Shinazugawa-sama, what is a marechi?" Chizuko asked. Sanemi's bloodshot eyes landed on Chizuko, "Who told you that? Brat?" "I-I think I heard it from not just one demon," Chizuko recalled, "but they don't seem to make that comment until they taste my blood or I bleed a lot." Sanemi went silent for a moment, "It means your blood can disrupt a demon, like what catnip does to a cat. But your blood is not as rare, so you either have to bleed a lot or be close to the demon to make it work."

Her eyelids grew heavier, she had to shower. Maybe she would just nap for a while.

************************************************
Hachi gazed at Chizuko worriedly.

She had fallen asleep on the table.

At least it was good for her to sleep, Hachi covered Chizuko with her haori. She had seen her young master laying awake for hours even after long missions.

Chizuko was tiring herself, she kept herself as occupied as possible. When she wasn't on missions she helped at the butterfly mansion, when she wasn't at Shinobu's she would visit Muichiro, when she wasn't with Muichiro she would be developing her breathing style.

And Hachi could tell she was avoiding Obanai and Mitsuri in particular.

Hachi understood human language, and emotions sometimes. Was Chizuko jealous? Sad? Bitter? Maybe a little of everything.

But one thing was sure, Hachi wasn't going to watch Chizuko die like the last kid.

Nestling beside Chizuko, Hachi too fell asleep.

************************************************
"Iguro-sama, you can bring Mitsuri-sama instead-"

"No, it's too dangerous," Obanai cut in, he didn't want Mitsuri to get close to lower moon two. Though Mitsuri was powerful, she could be a bit reckless. Besides, based on their investigation, he and Suzuki were the ones that were more familiar with this bloodthirsty demon, they should be the ones responsible.

So am I not important? Chizuko frowned, she hated these uninvited thoughts. Enough of it! What is wrong with me! This was her mission, she spent so much effort on it, of course she should be going. She didn't have the heart to hate Mitsuri. Mitsuri was the big sister she never had, who was she to be jealous?

Oyakata-sama's voice rang in her ears "You have a pure heart, Chizuko. May you keep this heart in the days to come." How could she be jealous? She would disappoint Oyakata-sama, Shinobu and Mitsuri. And what would Obanai think of her? Selfish? Stupid? Pitiful? Or worse, hurting Mitsuri.

"Suzuki, hurry up and move would you? Don't just stand there like a rock," Obanai knitted his eyebrows, she is spacing out even more now. And she seems thinner than the last time he saw her. Obanai dismissed the thought, she is just growing taller.