Chapter 68

Coughing, Chizuko's eyelids fluttered, she slowly opened her eyes.

She hissed as she touched the glittery part of her arm, glass shards were embedded in her flesh. What happened moments ago flashed before her eyes. Obanai had protected her, he took the greater hit, crashing straight into the brick wall. She was thrown into the flat, smashing into the window and its metal pane before sliding down onto the carpet.

The air was saturated with dust and the smell of blood, Chizuko couldn't find the strength to get up. She could feel lukewarm, sticky substance leaking from her forehead, nostrils and the corners of her lips. The effects of Tamayo-san's medicine are wearing off... Chizuko's previous wounds were resurfacing. It may be because of Muzan's blood, Chizuko couldn't regenerate her arm.

For first time, Chizuko felt so close to death.

She could feel her heart beating slower and slower bit by bit, her breathing shallower and shallower little by little. Chizuko was relying on her body to keep her demon physique running, yet she was at her limit. She was exhausted, she wanted to close her eyes, she wanted things to end here.

Tears welled in Chizuko's eyes, her eyelids grew heavier.

Is Muzan getting away now?

Her remaining palm balled into a fist, it wasn't fair, the demon slayers sacrificed too much.

Get up, but her consciousness was slipping away from her fingertips.

"Chizuko," Muichiro's voice came from beside her, his hand overlapped with hers, "Chizuko, it's me, please stay awake."

"Mui-kun...?" Chizuko forced her eyes to stay open, she could feel his hair tickling her neck as he leaned on her shoulder. Tears slid down her cheeks, was this a lie? "Is... Is it really you?"

"Yes, it's me," Muichiro reassured her, he entwined his fingers with her relaxed fist, "it's really me."

"I-I'm sorry, I didn't protect you... I-I let you die painfully," Chizuko apologised, the faucet to her tears broke, "I'm... I'm sorry... I could have... I could have done something to prevent that... but I didn't...."

"Hey... Chizuko, don't blame yourself. I-It was a mess back there..." Muichiro cupped her cheeks, how he wished he could wipe her tears, "D-Don't cry, I... I hate to see you cry."

Taking a deep breath, Chizuko held back her sobs, "I-Is it selfish to be scared now? Wh-What if... What if Muzan gets away? What if... What if we waste your sacrifices...? What if... we all end up dead without changing anything...?"

"We... certainly can't predict what happens next," Muichiro smiled, "but believe in yourself, Chizuko, just as how we all believe in you."

Chizuko blinked, "We...?"

"Chizuko-chan!! Ganbatte Ganbatte Ganbatte!!!!!" Hina and Ichika appeared, cheering Chizuko on. Hina grinned and gave Chizuko big thumbs up, "Go kick Muzan's butt for us!!!!"

"Suzuki-san," Haruto took off his kitsune mask and nodded to her, "Don't give up!"

"CAW!!!" Hachi cawed, flapping her wings, "Stand up!! Don't worry!!! Keep fighting!!!! CAW!!!"

"Umu! Young Suzuki!" Kyojuro beamed radiantly, kneeling down to ruffle Chizuko's hair, "Set your heart ablaze for the last time!"

"Chizuko," Grandma Suzuki patted Chizuko's shoulder, "you can do this."

"We will wait for you on the other side," Muichiro kissed Chizuko's forehead.

I can do this. Chizuko's tired eyes hardened, we can do this.