Chapter 69

That look on Muzan's face.

Chizuko had seen that look for dozens of times.

It was when a demon drooled after a human.

That's right...! Muzan doesn't have to run... H-He could just consume me and... and... H-He'll... He'll conquer the sun!!!

She couldn't let that happen.

But the convulsions hadn't ceased, her lungs were still compressed by an unknown force.

Chizuko had absolutely no control over her quivering limbs, lifting her katana was an impossible task. Horror pulsed through her vessels, the set of jaws across Muzan's chest opened wider and wider, Chizuko could see saliva dripping down his fangs.

"SUZUKI!!!!!" Obanai stabbed his katana into the soil, willing himself to get up, yet he couldn't. Damn it! Affected by the shockwave , both him and Kaburamaru couldn't make any meaningful movements. Obanai coughed up mouthfuls of blood, he could do nothing but watch as Chizuko was being lifted closer and closer to Muzan's monstrous fangs.

Ch-Chizuko-chan!!! Tanjiro writhed on the floor, he too could do nothing. Where is Iguro-san!!? D-Did he get hit as well? Seizures coursed through his muscles, he was unable to get up. Do something!!!!! Don't just lay here pathetically!!!!!!

Images flashed before Chizuko's eyes.

The torn, half eaten bodies of the victims she had been too late to rescue. The corpses of the fallen demon slaying corps members. Her grandma's fragmented body. The smiles of Hina, Ichika, Haruto and Genya. The painful cries of Yoko, Ayako and Noboru. The gentle, warm, life changing encouragements from Shinobu and Kyojuro. The loud, croaky voice of Hachi. The irreplaceable hugs from Muichiro.

This demon in front of her was the culprit, the one who took everything precious away.

I can't... die here. I can't... let him get away with this.

The vines and spider lily patterns over her arms and neck illuminated in a bright, sapphire blue.

He should... pay for every evil deed he had done! He should... suffer for every tragedy he had caused!

Chizuko lifted her head, her pupils were stained in blood red once more, glowing intensely. She glowered at Muzan straight in the eyes with all her might, as if this action alone could somehow save her life. An arm grew from her right miraculously, Chizuko dug her nails into Muzan's arm, resisting to be eaten.

I have to... avenge them!

Muzan's eyes widened in shock. In addition to Tamayo's medicine, he had given her a fair share of his blood, the girl wasn't supposed to be able to overcome that, not even when she had cut her arm off. I cannot move nor activate any of my attacks. Muzan's shock peaked, he couldn't even blink. This girl...! Her eyes...! This is her doing! She is... nullifying my blood demon art!

Chizuko's eyes reminded Muzan of the countless pairs of orbs he had seen throughout the centuries, Ubuyashiki's words echoed in his mind. "Muzan, you have stepped on the tail of a tiger and tickled the sleeping dragon for too many times. In essence, you have basically awoken a wrathful creature that's been slumbering for a long time. They absolutely despise you. They would never let you go." The beliefs of the demon slayers had been passed on, surviving in every member he had ever encountered. The connection of human thoughts... is this what Ubuyashiki meant?

On top of her nose and mouth, blood also trickled from Chizuko's eyes and ears. She was forcing her body to exceed its limits, she was quite sure that her organs had started failing, she was bleeding from the inside. Just a little more...! Hold on until dawn...! Make Muzan stay glued to this spot until sunrise!