Birthday special (4)

Today is 15th September so...
Happy birthday to Obanai ♡^▽^♡

.*・゚☆ндрру(*-*)вiятнDду☆゚・*.

***This happens when Chizuko was still the tsuguko of Obanai***

************************************************
"Suzuki?"

Obanai woke up to an awfully quiet estate.

He thought he'd see her in the kitchen, but she wasn't there. He then checked the dojo, she wasn't there either. She didn't forget to wake up, Obanai had asked Kaburamaru to check her bedroom. And she was definitely not with Tokito, she should be back by this hour.

Just where on earth did Suzuki disappear to this early?

Poking Obanai's shoulder, Kaburamaru handed Obanai a note he found with his mouth.

Iguro-sama,

Happy birthday! To start off today, please take part in the treasure hunt! Your first clue is the following :

The mirror of the sky.

Have lots of fun!

Suzuki

To Kaburamaru's surprise, Obanai raised an eyebrow and crumpled the note.

"Kaburamaru, I am not playing such childish games," Obanai seethed.

Kaburamaru looked at Obanai with puppy eyes.

"Don't give me that look," Obanai turned his face, but he could still hear his friend's disappointed hissing.

Drawing in a sharp breath, Obanai grumbled,

"Fine..."

Kaburamaru winked at the four people hiding in the bushes as Obanai stepped out of the gates.

************************************************
Figuring out the first clue, Obanai arrived at the lake.

What 'treasure' can Suzuki hide, Obanai scanned his surroundings. Suzuki didn't know how to swim, so it probably wouldn't be under water. He had no idea what he had to search for. Would it be it a box or in a chest? Would it be buried under the trees or placed on top of the branches?

Obanai frowned, was this another prank? He thought he'd at least be let off the hook on his birthday.

He was about to leave when Kaburamaru gestured to something floating on the lake.

An origami lotus? Obanai recalled he and Suzuki's recent mission.

Splash!

Obanai fell into the pond of someone's garden when decapitating a pesky demon.

"Iguro-sama!!" Chizuko rushed to the scene, "A-Are you alright!!?"

Coughing out a mouthful of water, Obanai groaned, "Don't ask."

"Iguro-sama," Chizuko's worried expression morphed into an amused smirk, "never knew you look good with flowers."

"What nonsense are you spewi-" Obanai froze as he felt something stuck in his hair. He tried pulling it away, but it ended up getting more tangled.

"Don't worry! Iguro-sama! I can help you cut it off!" Chizuko took off her shoes and socks, stepping into the pond with her blade, "Just don't move!"

"I can handle it myself!" Obanai backed away from Chizuko immediately, "I don't need your help!"

"Aww come on! Iguro-sama! I cut my own hair! It'll be fine!" Chizuko inched closer with a mischievous grin.

"Get away from me! Suzuki!" Obanai stood, running away.

"Tch," picking up the paper lotus, Obanai lips tilted upwards slightly, it was undoubtedly something he wouldn't forget. He was lucky that in the end his hair wasn't trimmed by Suzuki.

Unfolding the lotus, Obanai found his second clue.

'Where all the cats live'

************************************************
Waiting for Genya to ask Gyomei for permission to enter the estate, Obanai's attention was caught by a black cat.

"Iguro-sama! Look!" Chizuko pointed at a box in the alleyway, "A kitten!"

"Oi! Suzuki!" Obanai had no choice but to follow his student.

"It's hurt!" Chizuko's brows knitted, "Iguro-sama!! Can we please take it back?"

"No," Obanai didn't want any pets in his house besides Kaburamaru.

"Please!"

"No."

"Please please please!!!"

"Fine!" Obanai wasn't in the mood to listen to Chizuko's nagging after a long mission, "But I won't help you look after it!"

In the end, because of its leg that wouldn't heal, they had to give it to Gyomei for better care.

"Suzuki, stop crying over a cat," Obanai didn't like it when Chizuko was being whiny, "you had it with you for less than a month."

"Iguro-sama you don't understand!" Chizuko blew her nose with the handkerchief Kaburamaru handed her, "I miss it very much!"

"...You gave it away ten minutes ago."

"I already miss it!"

Obanai watched as the cat limped in the garden with other cats. Suzuki still came to visit it from time to time with her crow.

"Iguro," Gyomei approached him, "Genya and I wish you happy birthday."

Obanai's eyes widened, he never told Gyomei when his birthday was.

"Suzuki told us when she stopped by," Gyomei took out an origami cat from his pocket, "And she asked us to give you this."

"Th-Thank you for the favour, Himejima-san," Obanai unfolded the paper cat.

************************************************
Obanai went home with a dozen of origami paper in his pockets.

He almost visited everyone today, including Oyakata-sama and his family. He even went to Tomioka's place, where he was congratulated by the ever monotonous Water hashira. He wondered why the clues didn't point him to Kanroji's place, nor the Rengokus. It was impossible for Suzuki to forget about Kanroji and Kyojuro.

"Happy birthday!!!!" Chizuko, Kyojuro, Senjuro and Mitsuri jumped out from the gates.

Obanai jolted and bounced backwards, what-

"Surprise! Iguro-sama!" Chizuko giggled, "I thought of a little game to keep you busy while we prepare a cake for you! Kaburamaru helped too!"

Kyojuro smiled, "It was a wonderful idea! And it's been long since me and Senjuro last celebrated your birthday with you! We should get together more often!"

"Come on! Iguro-san!!" Mitsuri was holding a pink cake, "Blow the candle! Make a wish!"

I wish...

Obanai blew the candles.

"Hurray!!" Chizuko, Kyojuro, Mitsuri and Senjuro cheered, "Happy Birthday!!"

there would be more days like this to come to me who had nothing.

For this once, Obanai let his smile reach his duo-coloured eyes.