Chapter 42

Holding Nezuko's hand, Zenitsu ran towards where Tanjiro was, "Tajiro!!!!! Are you alright!!???!!"

"Zenitsu...!" Tanjiro coughed, catching his breath, "I'm fine! Go help Inosuke and Rengoku-san save the passengers! A-And where is Chizuko-san? Is she alright?"

"She's tending to the injured at the back! And she has sent her crow to fetch the kakushi! I told her we would meet up later!" Zenitsu pointed, "I'll see if I can find Nezuko's box, it must be somewhere under the debris!"

"Thanks, Zenitsu," Tanjiro smiled.

They just had to wait for the kakushi to arrive, right?

************************************************
Chizuko's gritted her teeth, pick up your blade!

But her arms and legs were trembling so violently that she couldn't move a single muscle. Calm down, take it easy, Chizuko shut her eyes, trying to block out the dizziness and headache that escalated to a whole new level. Her heart was beating in such dissonance that she had to suppress the urge to place a palm over her chest.

"Not bad," the demon broke the silence, his lips curved into a smirk, "You are fourteen or fifteen, right? It's been a century since I met a hashira as young as you, are you the youngest among the hashira?"

"Th-That's none of your business!" Chizuko exclaimed, "Stay away from all these people! I won't let you harm them!"

"I am not here for those weaklings," Akaza's smirk didn't fade, "Your fighting spirit is extraordinary for your age. I am Akaza, what is your name?"

Sucking in a deep breath, Chizuko pushed herself into action, "Fox Breathing, Second Form, Yako, Mischief!"

Her sword almost flew out of her grip as Akaza redirected her attack.

"Fox Breathing? I have never heard of that. Did you develop your own breathing technique?" Akaza nodded in an approving manner, the small cut on his neck healed instantly, "You are stronger than you look, I am starting to understand why he is having trouble with capturing you. However... what a shame it is to see how your sickness is eroding your true strength and prohibiting your potential."

Does Muzan know of my condition? A shiver went down Chizuko's spine, how? And what did Azaka mean? What is the fighting spirit? Why does Muzan aim to somehow abduct her?

"Become a demon, girl," Akaza offered, "There is no point in keeping your weak human body."

"D-Don't you guys ever have something new to say!?," Chizuko frowned, "For the last time, I don't want to become a demon! I'd rather die!"

"I don't kill women," Akaza shook his head, "and let me tell you what the doctors you visit cannot. You are sick, your human body is growing sick in the process of rejecting the effects of his blood, and it is probably permanent. You may seem fine now, but your health and physique will continue to deteriorate, I can foresee your situation worsening. Even if you don't get killed by me tonight, you will die at a young age. Is that what you want?"

Chizuko chewed the inside of her cheek, she hated that she couldn't find words to rebuke Akaza. He was right about her situation. She recalled her quarrel with Obanai a month ago, the incident that triggered their argument was that he found out that her nose started bleeding without reason from time to time. He had straight out asked her to quit, but Chizuko stood her ground and refused. Eventually, they had came to an agreement, with Chizuko promising to go to Shinobu for a body check every month.

As for why she suddenly became so stubborn, Chizuko wasn't sure either. She felt like she had worked so hard to become a demon slayer, she didn't want to just give it all up. Besides, it wasn't the effort of herself alone, but of the many around her whom she loved and treasured dearly. How could she let their time, patience and care go to waste? How could she give up trying when she hadn't yet repaid their unconditional and boundless kindness?