Chapter 23

Obanai couldn't do it. Pathetic tears rolled off his bandaged face.

Yes, revenge was a must. Just one little push and she'll fall.

But how could he push his tsuguko, the sister he never had, to her death?

************************************************
The sharp, metallic taste of blood spread across Chizuko's tongue, she needs to stay on the branch, she needs to look for Kaburamaru, she needs wake Obanai and weaken lower moon two, she needs to find a way for Hachi to go fetch for backup.

"Iguro-sama!" Chizuko pleaded, "It's us! Snap out of it!"

Kaburamaru slithered onto Obanai's shoulders, hitting him on the back of his neck hard.

Chizuko caught Obanai's numb frame. Before she could thank Kaburamaru, dozens of branches swiped at the three of them. Gripping Obanai's sword, Chizuko remained in front of him and Kaburamaru.

"Breath of the fox, forth form, Kinko to Ginko, onmyō!"

Obanai's sword was much heavier than hers, and with her injuries, her strikes were less effective. The wood pierced her skin, "Don't cower!" she thought of Sanemi's words. Endless branches encircled the three of them, there were too many. Chizuko knitted her eyebrows, suppressing the stinging sensation of her wounds.

Keep going, keep going for Iguro-sama and Kaburamaru!

Blood spattered on the wood, some branches had impaled Chizuko. Her legs buckled.

"Finally, death of the revengeful master and disdainful student," lower moon two smiled. Its tragic play was perfect, more entertaining than the previous slayers or commoners it toyed with, "rest in peace under the sakura trees." Chucking, it drew blood from its arm. Time to finish them off.

Swallowing blood along with saliva, Chizuko felt less lightheaded. Her eyes widened as the mask on her face and the wood piercing her dusted away. Marechi, the word popped up in her mind. Kneeling on the branch, she searched for the little box in her pocket.

Dragging herself up, Chizuko handed a syringe to Kaburamaru and whispered, "I will buy us some time now." Kabramaru nodded and hid in Obanai's collar.

Steadying herself, Chizuko knew she didn't have much time left. Black dots ate at her vision, lifting her limbs became more and more difficult. Keep going, Chizuko, she could hear the faint voice of her grandma.

With all her remaining energy, Chizuko leapt towards lower moon two. All branches that reached her withered, lower moon two's eyes widened as it uncontrollably stumbled drunkenly. It's working! Chizuko pushed forward, punching lower moon two in the chest.

"Stupid girl," lower moon two sneered, closing its hands around Chizuko's neck. Choking, she struggled to inject the wisteria poison in its neck.

Purple and black formed around lower moon two's neck, it growled, "Wisteria!" Chizuko thrashed out of its loosened grip, knocking lower moon two over by its legs. Keep going, they can't loose.

Punch. Chizuko fell backwards, spitting out blood. She couldn't feel her jaw momentarily.

Kick. Chizuko was smacked onto the bridge. The foot stepped on the penetrating wound on her side prevented Chizuko from getting up.

"Just how stupid are you," lower moon two chuckled at its prey, "you think that little portion of poison can kill me? Admit your defeat and I might consider granting you a painless death."

Chizuko lifted her head shakily. Iguro-sama, her eyes darted through the flowers, is he alright? Is he awake yet?Tears streamed down her cheeks, are they going to die here?