Chapter 53

"Thank you so much!" Tanjiro bowed, thanking the kakushi who carried him to the swordsmith village.

"Ehhh!!? Tanjiro-kun!" Chizuko waved, surprised to see Tanjiro.

"Chizuko-chan!" Tanjiro greeted her with his signature smile, "What brings you here? Are you feeling better now? I heard from Kanao-chan that you fainted for months!"

"I'm getting better now, thank you, Tanjiro-kun," Chizuko returned the smile, "And... well.... You see... My katana has some cracks... and... er... I think Haganezuka-sama is angry about that."

"Ah, I've come here to find Haganezuka-san too! I think he is unhappy with me as well since I broke my katana!" Tanjiro showed Chizuko the violent letters he received, "Let's go find him together later!"

"Sure!" Chizuko nodded, "I'll see you soon, Tanjiro-kun, you should go to the chief first!"

"Alright, then see you soon, Chizuko-chan," Tanjiro waved Chizuko goodbye before heading into one of the grand buildings.

Muichiro stared at Chizuko and Tanjiro and pursing his lips into a thin line.

************************************************
Muichiro had been holding a silent grudge.

And the kid in front of him was adding fuel to the burning flames of irritation stuck in his chest.

"Go away! I'm not giving you the key!" the masked kid insisted, balling his hands into fists, "I'll not teach you how to use it!!"

His displeasure peaked due to the child's tantrum, raising his hand, his anger got the best of him.

Muichiro slapped the kid, a little too hard.

"Hey! What are you doing!?" a hand gripped Muichiro's arm, "Let go of him!!"

Muichiro glanced sideways, spotting the burgundy haired boy.

Ah, the centre of his exasperation.

Chizuko had spent most of her morning with this guy, searching for their missing swordsmith. Muichiro couldn't remember his name, but he vaguely remembered that this scarred boy always stopped by Chizuko's estate for dinner, along with two other rather noisy guys.

Muichiro didn't budge, "Your voice is annoying. Who are you?"

He had promised Chizuko to be nicer to others. To be specific, Chizuko had meant being kinder to people other than herself and the Ubuyashiki family. However, he really wasn't in the mood right now.

"Hands off the kid first!!" Tanjiro tried prying Muichiro's arm off the poor child. It wasn't working though, not even for a bit. He isn't flinching! Although he has a shorter build and is thinner than me! Tanjiro gritted his teeth, he looks familiar... Is he Chizuko-Chan's friend?

"You," Muichiro narrowed his eyes, "let go."

A figure pushed Tanjiro away as Muichiro's smack landed.

Muichiro's eyes widened, there was terror in his voice,

"Chizuko!"

He accidentally smacked her instead.

Chizuko fell to the floor, clutching her side and coughing.

Muichiro froze, panic and guilt pierced his heart. He was well aware that she hadn't fully recovered from her last battle with Upper Moon One. He stared at his own hand in disbelief, he has vowed to protect her, yet he has hurt her.

With his natural, inborn, tip top brotherly instincts, Tanjiro immediately sprung to Chizuko's side, "Chizuko-Chan! Are you alright!!?"

"What is in your box," sensing a suspicious presence on Tanjiro's back, Muichiro reached for the wooden box, fearful of Chizuko being harmed, "Is that a demon."