Chapter 56

Rotating his katana as quickly as he could, Muichiro blocked the spikes spurted by the floating goldfish.

Chizuko panted, she was having trouble maintaining her demonic physique. It was in fact draining a big portion of her energy doing so. Just a little while longer, she told herself.

"So," Gyokko's mouths moved, it was a disturbing sight considering how his mouths were positioned where his eyes were supposed to be, "Are your limbs numb from the the poison yet?"

Chizuko and Muichiro's eyes widened, poison?

"You're going to loose your life in a worthless place like here," Gyokko grinned, "All because you decided to save worthless lives."

Truly worthless lives.

Whether they're here or not, nothing changes.

Muichiro froze, he knew he had heard something like that in the past. Who was it? He couldn't remember. Was it someone important?

The fog in his memories parted a bit. He caught a glimpse of a small house, where a boy who looked exactly like him was sitting near to the stove. It was hot, in summer, Muichiro's subconsciously recalled, the door was left open because it was hot. He could almost hear the loud and annoying sounds of the woodland insects.

"Sh-Shut up!" Chizuko scolded, "Helping others is not worthless! Keep your twisted believes to yourself!"

"Hyo Hyo! You are both hashira! And we have miss blue spider lily with us tonight! What piece of art shall I create to entertain such wonderful guests?" Gyokko ignored Chizuko, immersed in his excitement for his so called art.

Without much thinking, Muichiro charged forward.

"Shut it," Muichiro's expression was calm, but his voice showed otherwise.

Gyokko was unfazed as Muichiro's blade sliced into his neck, a black vase decorated with the rumbling waves of the sea appeared on his hand, "Kekkijutsu, Water Prison Pot."

Chizuko gasped as actual water gushed out of the small jar.

Muichiro was engulfed by a huge pot made out of water in the matter of seconds.

"Hyo Hyo! Suffocation is quite chic, quite beautiful," Gyokko smirked, "I've obstructed the greatest weapon for you demon slayers, your breath! Imagining you all choking painfully to your deaths brings me supreme ecstasy! Hyo! The swordsmith village will be destroyed! The blue spider lily will belong to Muzan-sama! The demon slayers will suffer this huge blow! And Ubuyashiki's head will fall onto the floor soon!"

Clutching the scythe she borrowed from the villagers, Chizuko was in front of Gyokko in a blink of an eye. Rage seeped from her slitted eyes, the blood vessels on her arms and forehead bulged. She slashed at Gyokko without ration nor plan.

Easily evading the impulsive slash, Gyokko sneered, pulling out another vase, "Kekkijutsu, Octopus Vase Hell."

Wha- Chizuko jolted into action as gigantic tentacles erupted from the tiny pot. She leapt backwards, but for a split second her muscles went numb, and that slight disruption was enough to disable her demonic physique.

Rats, not now!

Her efforts to escape were futile, no matter how Chizuko thrashed and struggled, she was like a small fish that couldn't break free from a large octopus. Air was slowly squeezed out of Chizuko's lungs, she could feel her bones grinding against each other. Dizziness struck Chizuko, her limbs lost all strength.

All hope left Muichiro's chest as he watched how Gyokko proceeded to collect Chizuko's limp figure, he lowered his katana. He had used up his remaining breath trying to burst its walls, yet he couldn't. Chizuko didn't have her sword with her, it was over. Kagaya's figure appeared in Muichiro's mind, he was thankful of how Oyakata-sama always cheered him on. Now Muichiro could only wish him good luck filling in not only one but two spots for the hashira.