Chapter 20

It had been three months since Chizuko started going out on missions.

Aoi stayed and helped at the butterfly mansion, she was traumatised. Chizuko was disappointed that Aoi couldn't accompany her, but understood it cannot be forced and respected her choice. After all, she would still be able to hang out with her, Kanao, Naho, Sumi, Kiyo and occasionally Ichika at the mansion when she had time. She wanted Aoi happy and comfortable.

As for Muichiro, of course she would have breakfast with him whenever she could, sometimes lunch or dinner because of her hectic schedule. But she made sure to squeeze time for him.

Ah, and she sure remembered about her sword.

The sound of wind chimes approached the serpent estate. Chizuko opened the doors to reveal a man with a Hyottoko mask. "Ano... Mister, who are you?" Chizuko blinked, Obanai didn't say they would have guests. "My name is Haganezuka, I have forged Suzuki Chizuko's sword and is here to deliver it," the man states. Chizuko's bowed frantically, her sword was done already? It had only been three days. "Thank you! Haganezuka-sama! Please come in!"

Instead of going in, Haganezuka sat down at the doorsteps, "Nichirin blades are made with scarlet crimson iron sand and ore which comes from the mountains closest to the sun. The steel produced absorbs sunlight." "Really? Wow! I never knew that," Chizuko blinked.

"Suzuki, what are you doing at the door?" Obanai appeared behind Chizuko. "Here is your sword," Haganezuka ignored Obanai and handed Chizuko her blade, "you have red hair, it's a good sign." "Really? Thank you, Haganezuka-sama," Chizuko held her sword carefully, "Iguro-sama, this is Haganezuka-sama, he forged my sword." Haganezuka nodded, "Unsheathe it."

The sword was crescent-shaped, like the one she found at Sanemi's place that day. It had a white hilt wrapped by orange and green ribbons, and a white sheathe with delicate fox carvings. She drew out the blade, the shiny silver morphed into bronze. They thanked Haganezuka again before he left.

Now, she and Obanai stopped by a wisteria house.

Stop blushing! Chizuko!

Obanai had his shirt off, and she was treating the wound on his shoulder.

No, she definitely didn't feel like this half a year ago. Her breathing became hitched, she could hear her heart leaping and galloping in her chest. Beside him, the world seemed colourful and bright even when she closed her eyes. Every moment felt like the first time she saw him under the warm afternoon sun, she had always admired him ever since, it was harder and harder to look away.

"Suzuki?" Obanai called, she stopped again. He didn't know what happened but Chizuko started spacing out quite frequently. Is she taking after Tokito? Maybe they spend too much time together. Chizuko snapped out of her thoughts, "S-Sorry, Iguro-sama, I was thinking about something."

Sure, he was still the same old meanie. He would order her to go on as many missions as she was physically capable of. She had to contribute to the corps, he claimed. He also wanted her to become a hashira like him "As my tsuguko, you must work harder than anyone else, both for your reputation and mine." Though it wasn't easy to keep up with Obanai's unrealistic expectations, she couldn't deny that she had improved a lot, and was indeed climbing up the ranks faster than others.

"Chizuko-chan, seriously, do you like someone?" Aoi was hanging the clothes. Chizuko passed Aoi a clip, "What!? No way! I-I don't!" "But it does sound like it," Aoi nudged Chizuko, "So, who is he?" Chizuko felt her face heat up, "I-I'm not in love!"

"All done, Iguro-sama," she cut off the excess bandages and tossed Obanai his shirt. "Iguro-sama, Suzuki-sama, dinner is served. I will be leaving the food at the door," a servant said from outside. "Thank you!" Chizuko stood from her kneeling position, "Ah, Iguro-sama, I'll go fetch the food and a screen." They'd put a screen between each other when having meals together during missions, to give Obanai some privacy.