Chaper 11.5

After talking to Chizuko, Kyojuro led her to the dining room to have some snacks. He could tell by her fatigued frame that she was starving.

Chizuko insisted on helping Senjuro with the dishes after finishing her dorayaki*.

"And that's how we found out Nii-san needed glasses," Senjuro told Chizuko about his brother. Chizuko dried the plate, "I see, I never knew that there is something like glasses. Is it magic?" "I think it is something about the glass, but I'm not sure about the rationale behind it," Senjuro handed Chizuko a bowl.

The kitchen door was slammed open, a man holding sake* bottles stumbled in. Seeing Chizuko, he pointed at her, "Who are you and what are you doing in my house!"

"Father, this is Suzuki-sama, Nii-san's student for the week," Senjuro intoduced Chizuko. "Tch, whatever," Shinjuro suddenly had a stern look on his face, "Why is she doing the dishes? Just how useless are you? Asking the guests for help with chores." He had no idea he misunderstood the whole situation.

"I..." Senjuro lowered his head. Chizuko was about to step in when a voice in her differed. Would Rengoku-sama's father be offended? What if he decided to kick her out? What if Rengoku-sama disapproved of her actions? Maybe she shouldn't be intervening with how the Rengoku family conversed.

"Don't bend or change because of what others may think!"

"I-I insisted on helping Senjuro! Rengoku-sama!" Chizuko took a deep breath and spoke up. Realising his mistake, Shinjuro opened his mouth but was interrupted by Kyojuro who appeared in the kitchen. "I see you have met each other! Father! This is Suzuki Chizuko, my trainee for the week! And Suzuki, this is my father!" He gestured enthusiastically, unknown to the tension in the room.

"Father! We're taking Suzuki to town this weekend! Do you want to join us?" Kyojuro invited his father, like how you used to go to town with us. Shinjuro shrugged, "Go yourselves, I'm not interested."

Chizuko for sure didn't imagine the disappointment on Kyojuro's face.

************************************************
Paper lanterns lit up the tiled streets, colourful flags swayed along the summer breezes. Man in suits and women in chic dresses swarmed around. Bells sounded and a tram zoomed pass.

Muichiro was however oblivious to the scene, his gaze was fixated on Chizuko who linked arms with him. Her butterfly hairpin sat at the end of her braided hair, the floral pale pink kimono was a bit loose, but it complimented her eyes. His face was bland as usual, but a cozy feeling was building up in his chest.

He was dragged along by Chizuko, and he wouldn't have came if it weren't for the excitement that radiated off her. Thus, he got to spend time with her.

"Chizuko-chan~ you'll definitely like the takoyaki* here! And the okonomiyaki*! And the curry rice!" Mitsuri pointed at some stalls along the streets, "We can go to the cafe for pancakes later! My treat!" "R-Really? Thank you, Mitsuri-sama and Rengoku-sama!" Chizuko grinned, clearly hyped up.

They visited all those stalls, chattering and enjoying the street food. Seeing the content faces of his companions, Kyojuro smiled wholeheartedly. As a demon slayer, he knew blissful moments like this never really lasted. But that didn't mean they couldn't live to the fullest at the moment.

Chizuko was stunned by the mountain of cream next to the fluffy, perfectly browned pancakes, as well as the ruby red fruit called strawberry. She would definitely be back for other sweets on the menu.

"Nii-san, are those ikinari dango*?" Senjuro tugged the sleeve of Kyojuro's kimono. The vendor nodded, "You have a keen eyesight! Kiddo! How about I give you a discount?" the vendor offered the group. Kyojuro ruffled his brother's hair, "Thank you! We'll have a dozen of the ikinari dango please!"

"Umai*! Umai! Umai!" Kyojuro exclaimed upon tasting the sweet potato paste, which was his favourite. Mitsuri and Chizuko joined in, imitating Kyojuro, "Umai!" They all broke into a fit of laughter. Though Muichiro didn't laugh, a rare smile could be seen across his face.

Looking between her friends, Chizuko wished she could pause time. Everyone is so happy. This would undoubtedly be a memory she would cherish.

(Picture above doesn't belong to me)

*************************************************
*dorayaki : a Japanese confection, a red-bean pancake which consists of two small pancake-like patties made from castella wrapped around a filling of sweet azuki bean paste.

*sake : Japanese alcoholic beverage

*takoyaki : A ball-shaped Japanese snack or appetizer made of a wheat flour-based batter and cooked in a special molded pan. It is typically filled with minced or diced octopus, tempura scraps, pickled ginger, and green onion.

*okonomiyaki : A Japanese savory pancake containing a variety of ingredients in a wheat-flour-based batter

*ikinari dango : A Japanese steamed confectionery made with a thick slice of yellow sweet potato, topped with a layer of red bean paste and wrapped in mochi dough, typically served warm.

*Umai : a casual Japanese term for "delicious/tasty"