°Back to You°

2 days until the divisional finals

'Kaycee, it's five, six, seven, eight' Sean groaned dragging his hand over his face as he reshowed her the steps again.

'I know. I'm trying' Kaycee giggled,  shuffling over to the corner so that she could try her set of turns again.

'Well. Please try harder... Kaycee, this is the divisional finals we're talking about. Not a stupid dance video' Sean grunted, pulling her by the elbow before re-starting the music. Kaycee watched Sean stress over tiny details, pulling at his hair and massaging his tempels whenever he or Kaycee messed up.

'Sean. Let's take a break. I think this is kinda getting to your head' Kaycee spoke softly, tip toeing over to stand beside him.

'I thought I made myself clear. This isn't a stupid dance video, now get into first position. From the top' he snapped, slapping his forehead before copying her actions. It was all going well, their bodies flowing well with the music, the tricks and flips going as planned. But there was no connection. Something which was vital for this dance to succeed.

'Stop, stop, stop' Sean fumed, slumping down against the wall. 'It's not working.'

'Sean, look at me. We're just tired, come on it's 1.40 am. We need a break, please Sean' Kaycee pleaded, careful with her use of words.

'Fine, then. If you can't hold your weight. Then go have a fucking break. I'm working on the choreo so that we can actually have a shot in winning this. It's not like you were helping anyways' he yelled, pointing towards the door.

'Sean, I-uh' Kaycee started, heaving as she tried to blink back her tears.

'Just go!' Sean bellowed at the top of his lungs, completely unaware about the tears falling freely down her cheeks as she ran out of the garage and into his room.

He doesn't mean it. He's just stressed, she tried to reason with herself but his harsh tone of voice haunted her as she slipped inside the comfort of his bed.

He's just stressed, he's just stressed, she repeated in her head before dozing off to sleep.

You could break my heart in two.

One day until divisional finals

 'From the top. One. Two. Three. Four. Five. Six. Seven. Eight.' Sean counted, holding his arm in place as she twisted and tucked back.

'Good. Nearly there' he mumbled, fluffing his hair. Ever since the mishap last night, Sean and Kaycee hadn't talked very much or even made eye contact for that matter. The atmosphere was oddly tense, which was unusual to the both of them.  But they tried to make it work, lingering gazes and touches were gone, laughter was replaced with groans and huffs, while the smile of a certain brunette was replaced with a contstant frown.

'Let's just skip to the footwork at the end, first' Sean suggested, not waiting for an answer. Kaycee nodded her head meekly anyways, ignoring the way his eyes rolled back. The two bopped awkwardly to the music until the set part came. They took a quick glance at each other before counting each step in their head as they shuffled to the rhythm of The way I do.

'That was better than expected. Let's take a quick break' Sean offered approvingly. Kaycee scoffed to herself, irritated by her best friend and partner.

'What?' Sean asked, approaching her.

'Nothing'.

'It sounded a lot like a scoff to me, Kaycee... if you're not willing to work with me anymore then we can stop after this' Sean huffed, sliding down beside her.