Why Me. Part 3

I was sitting outside waiting for Matt to get home from work. He started going back two weeks ago but not full time yet. I missed having him at home. But I know he really missed going to work. We had a doctor's appointment today. I was really hoping to find out some good news. I hate not knowing what's wrong with me. The pain has gotten way worse. Takes me forever just to walk a few steps. My toes are sometimes swollen. I hear Casey's car pull and I have a huge smile on my face. "hey babe how was shift" I ask him as he's walking up the driveway. "it was good. I like being back at work but missed you like crazy. What did you do while I was gone?" He asks me as he leans against the porch post. Man did he look good leaning in it. "not much I can do. I rested a lot and did some reading." I say. "Don't forget about the appointment at 1:30 pm hopefully we get some good news" he tells me as he leans down to give me a kiss. "Yeah good news would be great." I say. "Have you eaten lunch yet?" he asks me "nope was waiting on you" I say with a smile. "great I'll get us something and meet you back out here." He says. "thanks Case. Oh can you also bring me out a sweatshirt I'm kinda cold." I say "sure no problem. What do you want to eat? "he asks. Surprise me" I say "will do" he says going inside. He comes back out about 10 minute later with my sweatshirt and our food. He brought us leftover homemade Mac and cheese with pulled pork on top. He pulls up a chair next to mine and we eat while we get lost in conversation about work. "Oh hey we gotta go. I didn't realize what time it was." I tell him as I looked at my watch. "yeah we do. I'll go grab your stuff for you" he says. "Wait, help me up first." I say as he helps pull me to my feet. I then head to the car while he takes the stuff in and grabs what we need. It doesn't take us long to get to the doctors.

I checked in and took a seat. I was so nervous and jittery. I hate doctor and hospitals. Odd as I'm I the medical field myself you think I would be okay with doctors and hospitals. Casey took my hand in his to calm me down. I look over at him and he gives me a smile. "Sylvie Brett" a nurse calls out. I raise my hand to let her know it's me. Matt helps me get up out of the chair and helps me walk over to where she is. Matt starts to turn away. "Where you going?" I ask him. "I thought you might not want me in there with you." He tells me. "no I want you in there. You're my rock." I say with a smile. The nurse leads us back to a room and takes my vitals. "doctor will be with you shortly" she says to us as she leaves the room. The Doctor comes in about 5 minutes later. "hi Doctor Renfield" I say "so how are you feeling today?" She asks me. " Honestly I'm in a lot of pain still my feet hurt so back I can barely walk. My elbows are really stiff feeling And I just ache all over." I tell her. Well from the looks of your blood work we did last week. Your Rheumatoid factor is high." She tells me. "what does that mean?" Casey asks. "well I wanna send you to a rheumatologist and have them take a look at you. This might mean you have Rheumatoid Arthritis." She says but we won't know until you see her. She's got an opening tomorrow I can setup if you would like." She tells me. "yes that would be great" I say. Once she's done with setting that up we leave and head home.

The next day

I was so nervous for my appointment I barely slept. I was semi excited to finally have a diagnosis. Just not what I was hoping for. Matt and I are sitting in the doctors office waiting for the doctor to come see us. There's a knock on the door. "hi I'm Doctor Enders" she says as she enters the room. "Hi I'm Sylvie and this is Matt it's. Nice to meet you" I say shaking her hand. "so I hear you're having some pain and trouble getting through your day. Why don't you tell me about it and when it all started?" She says. "Alright well it started about 6-8 months or so ago. I just started feeling very stiff when I would wake up. My elbows were really painful to straighten. It would take me forever to feel semi normal again. Then I started having pain walking. My toes are sometimes swollen too. Everything hurts. I had to stop working which I really miss." I say. "well let me take a look at you. Hop up here for me. From what it sounds like and your blood work I'm pretty sure this is rheumatoid arthritis." She says. "oh okay" I say nodding my head. She takes a look at my joints and determines I have multiple swollen joints. "So I'm pretty confident this is rheumatoid arthritis. This is an autoimmune disease. You will most likely be on medication the rest of your life as there is no cure." She continues talking but all I hear was NO CURE. How the heck am I suppose to live my life normally and go back to work if there is no cure. Casey sees I've drifted off and that I have a slight panicked look starting on my face. He gently puts his hand on my back rubbing circles to bring me back to the conversation. "treatment has come a long way now. There are multiple options that we can do for you. I'm wanting to start you on two different drugs today. One is hydroxychloroquine and the other is methotrexate." She says. "wait isn't methotrexate chemotherapy." I ask. "it's considered a very low dose of chemo. You shouldn't have many side effects maybe some nausea slight hair loss and tiredness would be what to really expect. But some patients don't have any side effects." She tells me. We talk about it just a little more before we head out.

Matt and I are sitting on a bench outside when he notices I'm not my normal self. I'm starring off into space. Trying to process the news I just got. "Hey it's going to be okay. We will get through this." He says as he turns me to face him. "but you heard her there's no cure. How can I live a normal life." I say trying to hold back tears. He notices I'm on the verge of a break down. "hey come here" he says with his sweet soft voice of his as he pulls me into his arms. "it will just be a new normal. Plus who knows she said the meds she gave you will drastically helps you." He says. "I guess will just have to wait and see." I say. Come on why don't we stop by Severide and Kidd's place it will give you a distraction. Then we can have a quite night just us." He says. "sounds perfect. Hey Thanks for always being by my side through all this." I say as I look up at him. "You're welcome. There's no other place I'd rather be." Casey says as he gives me a kiss then helps me to the car.

AN: hey guys sorry I  didn't upload the past two days. I wasn't feeling all that great. But i finally finished Part 3 of Why Me. Hope you enjoyed this one shot. As always feel free to vote, comment, and leave suggestions