Best Friend

"Hey, Haruka!"

She wasn't in a mood to talk to him. Especially after he abandoned her like anyone else. Inarizaki had won the semi finals against Mujinazaka High, the team that housed Wakatsu Kiryu, one of the best aces in Japan.

"Sakusa san... nice to see you again" she tried really hard to politely smile.

"I... I'm sorry" he said.

"Do I look like I need an apology?" She said. She was his best friend, her distant yet close buddy, the only girl he was as comfortable enough with since they basically grew up together. They'd study together, she made school easier for him and he'd help her with volleyball.

"Haruka..."

"Do you need something?" The disappointment on her face pierced shards of glass into his heart.

"I should've stuck with you"

"I really wish you did" her eyes teared "I was so scared... and... and you didn't even-"

"Haruka!" Atsumu was running towards her "Are you alright, princess?"

"I'm fine" she sucked her tears back in with a long breath. "Oomi san, I'll see you at the finals tomorrow"

She took Atsumu's hand and turned around to leave.

"Haruka..." she heard Sakusa say. "I'm so sorry"

"It's okay" and with that she left.

"Was he in your class?" Atsumu asked sensing her sadness and she nodded "He was my best friend" her light treads were scaring him, as strong as he wanted her to be he didn't want her to collapse.

"You were best friends with that Germaphobe?" He asked and she nodded again.

"Why did he apologise?"

"Suzuki caused a scene in school. He said I tried to scare him to not leave him. Said I tried to hurt myself to blackmail him" she looked at her wrist. "And nobody was on my side. Even he hesitated. My best friend since kindergarten, that prick."

"Ya know... I wouldn't call someone like that my best friend" he calmly said pushing his elbows up in the air and rested his palm against the back of his head. "...but there's also a possibility that he just chickened out. He's the biggest introvert I've come across and I wouldn't be surprised"

"You're right" she said. "I haven't spoken to him ever since"

"Don't worry, babygirl. Things will fix on its own." He quickly pecked her cheek. "If it's still bothering you, I can help"

"Why are you so nice to me?"

"Because you're Haruka." He said with a lazy smile on his face "You're my weakness."

"Why would you say that??" She scolded and he tilted his head to smile at her "Because I need you." Even though his smile looked playful it was anything but that "...the way a drowning man needs the air. And it would destroy me if something were to happen to you. If that's not my weakness I don't know what is"

"..."

"Why's your face so red?"

"I-It's not!"

"Ore aho ya wa~" he sighed "I shouldn't say that out loud"

"Ah!" She remembered the team was waiting for them near the bus  "You have finals tomorrow!"

"No shit" he blinked.

"We still need to sketch something against Oomi san!"