Shortcake

Haruka was living a nightmare facing her former school for finals. She looked at the people who belittled her and shut her out when Suzuki set her ablaze. She wasn't worried or anxious anymore. She was dead angry. She didn't even care if it was bad sportsmanship, this was personal for her.

"Hey, Haru... good luck" the captain flatly smiled at her while passing by with her team in the corridor.

"You're gonna need it more than I do" Haruka was unpleasantly cold. "And not everyone gets to call me that"

Atsumu stood still when he heard her. He was unsure if that was even Haruka. She'd never said something like that before. He peeped from the side to see her face, trying to figure out if it was really her but quickly rescinded himself twice as fast before he could contact any of that dangerous aura.

Osamu had cold feet looking at her.

"Hey, we're... sorry..." she hesitated. "We didn't know-"

"You should go practice instead of wasting time on this, I won't go easy on you like I did until now" she simply walked away leaving everyone dumbstruck. Even her own team.

"Won't go easy?" Osamu almost screeched "What the actual f-"

Atsumu had the most evil grin smeared on his face. He just saw her dark side and fell even harder. "So cool" he whispered to himself.

"What just happened?" Ginjima looked at her go.

"That's what Nemesis really looks like" Wakatoshi had come to see her finals.

"What on earth... is that?" Osamu asked

"Bad news" her brother answered. Itachiyama girls knew Haruka all too well, she once played on their team.

"Oh" he sighed looking at Itachiyama's team "Good luck" he half wished half pitied them before heading upstairs.

Atsumu asked the coach and somehow made it on the bench to get a close look of what he knew would be a very baffling game.

"GO GO LETS GO LETS GO INA HIGH!"

Haruka's captain let her take over. It was their baby ace's revenge game and they let her toggle all the switches. She had a very serious face on while she discussed something with them.

"She knows how they play" the coach said. "Itachiyama is putting on a mean facade. They're shaking inside. That's their worst defence formation"

Haruka gripped the ball in her hand. It was her serve first. She was setting her return in stone. She inhaled sharply, her brows scrunched with all the rage that sat dormant in her for two whole years. That wasn't an active volcano, it was an apocalypse in itself.

When the whistle blew she felt the noise die down and all she could see was those she wanted to pummel into the ground.

She tossed the ball and ran towards the court before jumping really high and swung her hand bending her torso forward to exert all her frustration.

She simply walked back outside knowing perfectly where her service had crashed. The refree took a moment before awarding them the first point and the whole arena was stark silent.

The first voice they heard was Osamu's "OHHH MY-" he slapped his mouth shut.

Wakatoshi hadn't exhaled so peacefully in two years and her mother had tears in her eyes. She'd never seen her daughter play. Atsumu had died and gone to the purgatory. He had painful goosebumps, he regretted sitting in the bench, like he'd have less of a shock in the balcony.

Haruka had to tire herself out to stop serving like a spike machine. When they finally received her less aggressive serve she let them have the point because of her gracious sympathy, but the main reason was that she was exhausted. Her destructive spikes were the most cruelest she'd ever been. They were so unpredictable and well placed, it laughed in the blockers' face. Her tosses made Atsumu so damn proud, he was swelling in joy. The flood of overwhelming things he felt for those three sets were the something he knew he'd never experience again. Inarizaki won in straight sets with a giant score difference.

It was a disappointing loss for Itachiyama and Haruka fell on her knees after giving it her all, gasping for breath.

"Did you really have to do all that?" The captain pulled her up, taking most of her weight "They won't come to the nationals until you graduate"

Haruka just chuckled softly, she was so drained, but so happy. She almost cried. She looked at her burning hands but felt her ankles give up when she saw someone's hand slide against hers.

Atsumu gently traced her soft hands and tenderly blew air over the reddened skin of her palms. "Look how much you hurt yourself, angel" that was the one time he regretted calling her that. She was just the opposite.

Haruka smiled from ear to ear looking at her MVP trophy and Wakatoshi pinched her cheek with a small but august smile on his face. Atsumu held the championship trophy and felt his hands twitch after holding it again almost two years later. His best setter trophy glistened in the sun as they walked out of the gymnasium gleaming brighter than the sun. 

She went with the twins and Yumiko to celebrate after their first celebration with the whole team.

"To the BEST GAME I'VE EVER WITNESSED" Osamu said and they clinked their juice glasses.

"Haruka, don't mind me. I'm just caffeinated..." Osamu said "But I swear to Kami, leave my brother. And come be my girlfriend. I really liked Kanoka from 3-2 but I'll give her up just for you"

Atsumu almost flipped the table but let it slide after grimacing for an hour and a half because Osamu was only joking.

He watched her carefully dig into her strawberry shortcake and take a small bite of it before making a sour face.

"Is it not nice, princess?" He tugged his face to look at the adorable face she made and she shook her head. "Doesn't taste like shortcake" her face went bitter and the other two laughed at her.

Atsumu wrapped her in his jacket when the evening grew colder despite her efforts to decline it.

She was still shaking from the cold and he put his hand around her and gripped her through the jacket "Still cold?"

"Bro, find me someone who looks at me the way Spongebob looks at the little devil" Yumiko said and Osamu snorted.

He pushed the few strands of hair away from her face and held her cold cheek. "Do you want to go home so I can make something nice for you while I keep you warmer?"

"TSUMU SINCE WHEN DO YOU COOK?" Yumiko thought the hemispheres shifted.

"Oh, don't ask. He wanted to learn so Haru-" Atsumu jumped across the table to shut his twin up.

Haruka sat in his kitchen, drowning in the pile of giant duvets wrapped around her. Only her head was peeping out of the big fluff he cloaked around her. "What are you making?"

"Ramen, princess" he smiled.

"What's in the oven?" She asked and when he answered her heart combusted like a dying star.

"Strawberry Shortcake"