Wakatoshi

Since I can't resist him, imma dedicate this chapter to Ushijima Wakatoshi, my soulmate ♥️♥️

Haruka was more than upset when Inarizaki lost after a very enduring match. She looked at the scores.

Shiratorizawa v/s Inarizaki
30:32 26:24 37:39

Atsumu had neither the energy nor the heart to move. Niwatori was more than upset since it was his last match. Wakatoshi just walked away without saying word and Haruka just scoffed in anger. His spikes could not be blocked. Rintaro was more agitated than anyone else even though he was the least expressive of the lot.

"We really did our very best." He forced a smile "You guys played well. Thank you"

"Atsumu san..." Haruka had never said his name before. She'd barely initiate a conversation.

"Hmm?"

"Umm... we'll... do better next time" she said "You played well"

Even though he was devastated, he appreciated her efforts to cheer him up. "Ya think so?" His voice had toned down.

"Yeah" she nodded.

Summer vacations weren't as dull for Haruka. She rubbed her eyes and turned off the alarm five minutes before it woke up the whole neighbourhood. She stumbled into the bathroom to brush her teeth with her eyes still closed. She was not a morning person and she forced herself for the sake of practice all these days, nothing else could wake her up early not even exams. Halfway through, her eyes widened when she heard the deep voice echo downstairs. She quickly wore her bunny slippers and rushed downstairs and to see her brother sat on the couch. "Hey!" She smiled and meekily waved at him like a kid.

"How did you sleep?" He asked.

"Fine" she sat in the other couch far away from him. He was the distant, stoic brother, the perfect volleyball prodigy and her role model. She always felt like a burden to him, she was always under the impression that the shit she was into was tarnishing his name and she was weighing him down when he was trying his best to soar great heights.

As inexpressive as he was, she was still his baby sister and even though she was only a year younger their mental age was years apart. His mind was way more ahead than an average high schooler's and he still treated her like a kid which was both nice but infuriating to her sometimes.

"Congratulations on winning nationals" she said.

"Thank you" he smiled. "I didn't think you'd stop playing volleyball"

She froze for a second before replying. She didn't want to play and attract unwanted attention, especially from a certain person she was running from "I'm better off as a manager. I wasn't going to do this either but I was forced into it"

"So you quit volleyball..." he sounded disappointed. He was the last person she wanted to disappoint. She hated how she was forced to do it.

"It's been a while" she mumbled uncomfortably.

"Is there something I don't know?" She hated how he didn't mince his words. Even she thought he was a prick sometimes.

"No" she said and he slightly narrowed his eyes before letting it slide. "Paco seems to like it here" he petted the Doberman.

"He learns fast" she said.

"How's school?" He wasn't one to initiate a conversation so she was both anxious and happy.

"School's fine"

"Do they pick on you?"

"What? No. I don't have a black belt in karate for naught and I have a lot of friends too they're really nice" she awkwardly chuckled. He sighed knowing how bad she was at acting.

"Lies!" Her mother intervened and handed them both a cup of tea "She has two friends whom she bothers all day and a team she barely talks to. I can't with her here take her with you to Shiratorizawa or something"

"But I don't see what the problem is" he obliviously blinked and his mother facepalmed while Haruka smiled wide. He was the father figure at home in the absence of his actual father. He had a lot of responsibility to bear at a young age and that only made him seem cooler in Haruka's eyes.

"You should've come to Shiratorizawa" he said and she rolled her eyes. "I told you I wouldn't"

"You wouldn't have to worry about him if you moved to Miyagi." He was frustrated with how she'd always dodge the topic. She didn't even let him in and as stoic as he was, she was still his sister and that infuriated him.

"I don't worry about anyone" she was offended. She didn't go to Shiratorizawa since she didn't want to add to his worries and he was so ungrateful about it, but he didn't know it so she didn't blame him either.

"Says your new haircut and the fake glasses" he pointed at the cabinet. He was done being kept in the dark by her, what's worse was even his mother wouldn't tell, she smartly dodged the topic every time he even thought about bringing it up. As much as he wanted to restrain himself, he couldn't. He didn't want to upset her as soon as he came back home but he wasn't going to tolerate something that happened right under his nose.

"W-What's wrong with trying a new haircut? And I'm always on my computer so I need my glasses to filter the blue lig-"

"Haruka!" He said "Don't fool me. You threw away the things you couldn't live without for someone who spread rumours about you."

"I-It's my decision" she was beginning to feel breathless already. "I'll... do what I want to"

"Why are you so reckless?" He finally snapped "Why can't you be serious about anything in life? If only you'd been wiser you..." he stopped "I've never been more disappointed in anyone else"

Her heart shattered. She was already broken enough but hearing that from someone she looked up to the most, her heart reduced to dust.

"I'm sorry" she sloppily walked back into her room and sat crying in the shower for the next two hours replaying everything from the start. She hated the feeling, the guilt she carried. She tried everything to excel after that giant fall she took but even though she was amazing at volleyball, topped class and was a good manager appreciated by the whole team, something wasn't still right. It didn't work like it used to.

"Toshi..." her mother was hurt to have heard that "You shouldn't talk to her anymore"

"Nani?" He asked.

"She's trying everything she can. Why do you have to be so... stoic? She's not you. She's in a bad place but she still does her best" she was in tears.

"Okaasan..." his temper had cooled.

"You're both my kids and I love you. As proud as I am of you, Toshi, if you don't want to be nice to her... you shouldn't talk to her anymore" she half warned him.

"Is she... doing okay?"

"No" she deadpanned. "She's under anxiety meds and she's not okay"

"I'm doing just fine" she peeped making sure they clearly heard her, before heading towards the door "Mama, I'm going for a run"

"Haru..." he followed her and she ignored him as she slipped her shoes on. He knew she wouldn't answer "Wait here" he said.

"I'm going" she said not in the mood to listen to him.

"Don't move" he warned her before running upstairs and she scoffed at his prickly attitude.

She was outside the door when she saw him in his shorts "I don't have all day. What is it?" She was mad at him.

Her eyes widened when he put his shoes on and jogged past her

"Let's go, nerd"