Predebut: Working Hard

Jane pushes herself to limit

Monsta X was working harder than ever. No.Mercy had recently ended and they were preparing hard for their debut in just a few short months. Everyone had spent hours upon hours practicing choreography, vocals, rap, stage performance, everything. On top of that, they had to move out of the trainee dorms and into the others ones.

Jane was tired—exhausted—but she was excited to be debuting and she didn't want to let down the team. Fans everywhere were already skeptical about a girl debuting in an all boy group and while it had already been done with BTS, it hadn't seemed to sway the minds of Korean citizens.

She wanted nothing more than to prove she could keep up and be just as good as everyone else. However, she had neglected to really take care of herself. Her legs were pretty much numb with pain every day, her back was killing her and her muscles were sore. She hadn't found much time to sleep, let alone eat. She knew she had lost some weight, but she had chalked most of that up to the intense trainings and practices they were currently going through.

Though she woke up this particular day feeling very sick. Her throat was sore and her voice was raspy. Her head was pounding from the lack of fluids, food and sleep. Her body felt like it was breaking down; she could barely lift herself out of her bunk. But she pushed it aside, sucking it up and getting dressed for yet another day of intense training.

"You feeling alright? You don't look so good." Changkyun commented as he watched basically fall down the ladder of the bed. She nodded her head, groaning at the pain in her neck. "I'm fine, I.M. Gimmie some of that good stuff." She said, somehow mustering up a wink. He chuckled, holding up the bottle of numbing spray.

"35 bucks a spray." He played along and she rolled her eyes, swiping it out of his hand and spraying her legs. "Seriously though, you look like a truck hit you. Do you need a break today? I'm sure Shownu hyung would—"

"No! I'm fine!" She snapped, more worried about already causing issues for the team. "Sorry. I'm fine, really." She said a little softer and I.M sighed, shaking his head. "Just, take it easy, alright? Don't be afraid to say you need a break for a minute." She nodded, promising. This was all normal for any idol. The aches and pains came with the territory. If she couldn't handle it now, there's no way she'd make it in this career.

At the studio, they were taking a break. They were all dripping with sweat and breathing heavily. It was unnaturally hot in the practice room for some reason, or maybe that was just Jane. "YunJae, you don't look that great. Are you alright?" Kihyun said, handing her another ice cold bottle of water. "Here, put this on your neck."

Hyungwon slapped a cold cloth on the back of her neck and she sighed, chugging down the water. The cold cloth felt really good. "I'm alright," she said in between breaths. But she really didn't know at the moment. Her legs were numb, her shoulders were screaming for a break and her head was only getting worse. Not to mention she was starting to see spots in her vision.

She shook her head, standing up and rolling her shoulders. "Let's start again, yeah? I have vocal lessons in an hour." She said, walking to her spot on the floor and brushing her hair back. Shownu sighed, but nodded, calling of everyone to get back into formation. "Fighting!" Jooheon shouted out and everyone tiredly responded.

Once they started, Jane knew something was wrong. She was dizzy and she felt hot all over. She was pretty sure her whole body was burning red with how hot she felt. The spots in her vision started becoming bigger. She stumbled a little and Shownu stopped the music. "Watch your footing. Let's do it again." She shook her head, but it only made the dizziness worse.

"Hyunwoo—I think I need a break." She said, leaning over to place her hands on her knees. She just needed the dizziness to go away and she'd be fine. "Let's just try one more time, Jane-ah. You can do it." He said with a smile and she shook her head, standing up straight and gripping whoever arms were closest to her. "Yah! That hurts!"

It was Minhyuk, but Jane didn't have time to say anything as she fell to the floor. Everyone panicked, the choreographer running to grab ice and medical staff while Minhyuk dragged her over to the couch and Jooheon fanned her with his hands as best as he could. "Give her some space," Shownu commanded and everyone backed up, but still near—just in case.

Some ice on her feet and neck later, she was waking up, groaning. Her body was hurting more than before, if that was even possible. "W-what happened?" She said, throwing her arm over her eyes. "You fainted, baby. Are you feeling okay?" Shownu said quietly. She peeked out at him, heart breaking a little at the guilt on his face.

"I'm fine, oppa. I just feel like a train ran over me is all." She said lightly, voice raspier than this morning. "I think we could all use a break anyways." He said and she smiled at him, too tired to argue. "I think maybe some ice cream for almost killing me too is good payment." She teased and he chuckled, nodding and helping her up. "As long as it's not mint choco, that's fine."

She smacked his arm, weakly. "That's the best one!" He shook his head, helping her pick up her stuff. "C'mon. Kihyun is already back at the dorm and ready to tear me a new one. I think maybe dinner would be good too." He hummed and Jane chuckled, shaking her head.

"Oh no. You're not getting out of a Kihyun scolding. It's your turn."