Predebut: Chemistry

Jane and I.M have a heart-to-heart

"If you just kick your leg a little more—like this—it'll look better," Jane said as she demonstrated what she was talking about. She did it flawlessly, as expected and I.M groaned, flopping to the floor.

"Of course, you can do that. You're a girl and like have the goddess of dancing embedded into your soul." She rolled her eyes, sitting down. "I'm sure there's a god of—something—in you too. Just gotta bring him out." She said with a wink and I.M stuck his tongue out at her. "Ha. Ha. Funny. I'm dying of laughter."

She chuckled, wiping some of the sweat off her forehead. "How are you doing?" He asked and she quirked an eyebrow. "I mean, I'm fucking tired. But I think we all are." She said as if it was the most obvious answer and I.M shook his head, sitting up and leaning back on his hands. "That's not what I meant." He said.

"Then enlighten me, oh great one. Because I don't know what you mean." He was happy he had gotten used to her constant sarcasm. "I don't know what you mean," she said more seriously this time. She blew her bangs out of her eyes. "We're all tired, in every aspect. We're debuting in a few weeks. I don't know what else I'm supposed to feel right now."

I.M snorted, shrugging his shoulders. "There's nervousness and anxiety and sad and scared and excited and happy." He listed off and Jane smiled, shaking her head. "Maybe when it's the day of or the night before. But I think right now I'm too tired and sore to feel much of anything else." She said, laying back and welcoming the little feeling of coolness the wooden floor gave out.

"I guess I'll take that. Have you talked to your dad? Is he gonna be there? Your big day and all." He saw her tense a little and frowned. "It's everyone's big day, not just mine." She said and I.M shrugged again. "Yeah. But from the way you're acting I'm assuming you haven't even told him." She turned her head slightly to narrow her eyes at him.

"He wouldn't be able to come, Changkyun." She breathed out. "Wouldn't or you don't want him to?" She sat up, a hard glare trained on him. "I want him to come!" Her voice rose a few octaves. I.M held his hands up in surrender. "I didn't mean that in a bad way, Jane. I just know—he'd want to see you." She sighed, pulling her knees to her chest and resting her chin on them.

"His health is getting worse, Changkyun. I can't make him travel all this way. It wouldn't be good. Even though I know he would and say he's fine. I can't risk it. I can't risk losing him too." Her dark orbs were trained on the scuffed and scratched wooden floor. I.M's heart went out for the girl.

She didn't have the easiest childhood. Her mother was a drug addict that tried to sell her off and then left her high and dry on her own without reason. She grew up poor, wearing clothes from the second-hand store and eating simple meals every day unlike most of them. The only thing she had was dance to take her away.

"Hey, you know you have us now." He said quietly, trying to get her to meet his gaze. "We're not going anywhere. We're here now. It might be weird and awkward right now, but we're still going to be a family. We're not going to abandon you." She didn't say anything, not wanting to cry in front of him. She'd save that for their debut day.

"I know—I know. I'll be alright. Maybe your mom could record it for me and send it to him? So he can see it?" She said and I.M nodded his head with a bright smile. "Of course she will. You already know she loves you more than me." She chuckled, lightly slapping his leg. "She does not." I.M shrugged, standing up and offering his hand which Jane gladly took and pulled herself up.

"How about you? How are you doing?" She asked and he shrugged. "Honestly? Better than I thought. I'm sacred for sure, especially because—ya know—people think I bought my way in. But I'm excited too. This is what I want to do." She smiled, bumping his shoulder.

"I already told you, I'll punch anyone who says anything. We know you worked hard for this, don't worry. The others are just flies in the air. The wind and spiders will take them away soon enough." He laughed at her analogy, shaking his head. "Thanks. I'm assuming you're the black widow?" He teased and she nodded. "Obviously. I'll kill them with one bite."

He laughed, handing her a water bottle and her bag. "We should probably get going before Shownu hyung and Kihyun hyung show up to scold us for staying up too late." Jane glanced at the clock and clicked her tongue. "It's only 4. We'll get a solid two hours of sleep." I.M grinned, throwing an arm around her shoulders as they started to leave the practice room.

"You know my mom is gonna make you come to dinner with us." He said and she sighed. "Well, at least I know I'll get the best food and best seat." He raised a brow. "What makes you say that?" She patted his chest before walking off.

"She loves me more."