ART 91

I ACCUSED HER FOR BEING A CHEATER

I laughed when I saw how her face crumpled after seeing the gift I gave to her.

"You really love books, aren't you?" she said with a sarcastic tone while browsing the pages of it.

"I love books but I love you more." She smiled of what i've said.

Kylie is my girlfriend for almost 3 years. Actually, she's not a fond of reading nor studying. Unlike me, I'm a grade conscious and bookworm person.

Siguro ay pinagtagpo talaga kami dahil sa aming pagkakaiba.

Months passed by, I noticed that Kylie is getting busy. She always busy whenever I ask her us to go out. I know and I felt that she's lying and just making a reason.

I was about to knock on the door of the comfort room when I heard her talking to someone. "Balikan mo ako, Ryan. Hihintayin kita sa dating tagpuan, Mahal ko."

Who the fuck is Ryan? Does she have someone else? Is she cheating on me? That's the only thing comes in my mind.

But despite of it, I remained in silence. I ignored everything I've heard.

"I want to watch your play. Can I come, Love?" Napakunot ako dahil sa tinawag niya sa akin. Our endearment is baby and not love and besides I don't play basketball.

That day, I started to doubt her. I feel like she has someone else. Parang pakiramdam ko ay marami kami sa buhay niya.

Until one day, I heard Kylie and her bestfriend talking. I confirmed that she's really fooling me.

"I think, I fall inlove with Nico. Mahal ko na siya. What should I do?" Kylie uttered that shattered my heart into pieces.

"What do you mean, Ky? Are you cheating on your boyfriend?" her bestfriend said but I didn't wait Kylie to respond. I leave the place. I can't take another pain anymore.

That day, I broke up with Kylie and doesn't give her a chance to explain because everything was very cleared to me.

May iba siya at hindi na ako ang mahal.

I became faithful and loyal to her but she trashed it. Nagpakalayo-layo ako hanggang sa  mawalan ng komunikasyon sa kaniya.

I study hard and became successful. I married a beautiful woman who's better than anyone in my past. I'm now happy and contented with my wife and children.

"Dad, can I ask a favor?" my daughter asked.

"Sure, Darling. What is it?"

"My favorite author will have a booksigning. Can we come?" I smiled and nodded. She made me remember the young me.

We fled off from States to Philippines. But I never thought that coming back to this place will freshen the memories from my past. After 25 years, bumalik akong muli kung saan nagsimula ang lahat.

I was busy cooking when I received a call from an unregistered number.

I froze after hearing what the caller said. Hearing the news about her makes me feel uncomfortable.

Hindi ko pinaalam kahit kanino na balak ko siyang puntahan.

I nervously entered the hospital where she is. I don't know why but hate and guilt are hunting me now.

Memories started to flashback on my mind seeing her situation. Mula sa bubog na nakaharang ay tanaw ko ang matandang babaeng masayang kinakausap ang sarili habang katabi ang maraming libro.

My breathing becomes hard while watching the woman who once become a part of my life.

I startled when a young lady suddenly approached me. "25 years ago, when they found out that she has Schizophrenia. It is a mental disorder that may result in a combination of hallucinations and delusions. That's why she feels like she is one of the characters in the story that she read," she said.

Para aking binuhusan ng tubig dahil sa kaniyang sinabi.

Ryan.
Love.
Nico.
These are the main characters in the books that I gave to Kylie.

Tinitigan ko ang babae sa tabi ko. Nang tumagal ay namukhaan ko siya.

She is my daughter's favorite author.

Her lips formed a smile but tears escape from her eyes while looking at the old woman inside the hospital room.

"You know what? she inspired me to write. She mold me into a woman."

Tears rolled down from my eyes. I lost my words. Alam kong hindi matutumbasan ng sakit na nararamdaman ko ngayon ang sakit na ipinaranas ko kay Kylie.

Shame on me. Instead of staying, I left her.  For a moment, I want yo turn back the time. I want to take care of her. I want to stay beside her.

I feel like I'm in a deep pain but what she said made me shattered more into pieces.

"And I really admire her na kahit iniwan mo siya ay mahal na mahal ka pa rin niya. She even asked me a favor to write a story where you and her are the main characters. Mom never forgets you na kahit sa imahinasyon niya ikaw pa rin ang gusto niyang kasama, Daddy."

The young lady beside me is our daugter. Siya ang bunga ng pagmamahalan namin ni Kylie.

Para akong batang walang tigil sa pag-iyak habang pinapanood ang matandang babaeng masayang kinakausap ang sarili sa loob ng hospital room.

All this time, I was hating and blaming her for cheating, when in fact, its all my fault. 

I introduced her to a new world but I left her hanging alone. Caged and no chance to be free with those fantasy.