28. Ackerman

The silence was deafening.

The evening darkness masked the light of the world.

Only the stars above was able to peer out after the continuous rain. And the full moon was closer than it had ever been.

The new brewed tea that were prepared, lies on the rooftop floor. The white smokes flew up from the drinks' heat having one man sitting beside the refreshments and looking up the contradictory of the dark blue skies. He took one of those hot cups in his hand and took a sip.

The bitter taste had him sighing from the cold night. "No one really beats that brat Y/n from making the tea, huh?" He said to himself. "What did you say your secret technique of brewing was? Careful and equal distribution on pouring of hot water on the dried tea leaves? Do it again three times before sifting the tea leaves away and do whatever the hell you want?" (Idk how to brew an actual tea. I just wanna make it to sound complicated and classy y'all)

He let out a lifeless chuckle.

"I did that but why does it taste bad?" He asked. "Don't you two idiots agree?" He turned to the cup, asking the questions he wanted to ask to Isabelle and Farlan.

He couldn't even count the months that she's gone. Looking at that smiling bloody face haunts him. The blood that he caused. The blade of swords that wounded her was from him.

Now that he thought about it, throughout their battle, he was unscathed. Y/n didn't even used her swords against him! She used it only to defend herself.

He hurt the only family he had... because of a fucking order.

"I was so foolish, aren't I?" He took another sip on his tea. "I chose to turn my back on you... hurt you more than I could ever imagine."

Wind blew passed him briefly. His hair brushed through his forehead tenderly with the smokes from the cups beside him.

"I wonder if you're happy, brat." He said. "Isabelle and Farlan must've been spoiling you out there since they didn't get a chance to see you one last time."

He hissed.

"You're probably laughing at me now, aren't you, Y/n? I keep telling you to keep yourself in good shape, while here I am, injured my ankles because of my silly miscalculations... but I guess you don't need to worry. It's already healed." He wanted to laugh at himself too. "If you're here, I just knew you'd laugh at me."

He talked more that evening. The sky was gracing him a clear view of the starry sky now. The coffee on the floor was getting colder while he just finished his own fill of cup.

"Guess that's all for today. Tomorrow's going to be a bit busy... it's about time we find out the truth, Y/n. So I think it'll be long before we can talk again." He took the tea cups and poured it on top of the rooftop. "Goodnight..."

After that, he started making his way back inside the headquarters.

.

.

.

Y/n felt a gust of wind blew in front of her, it was strong yet gentle to simply push her hair through her shoulder making her turn to the open window of the corridor.

She looked out the slightly clouded sky, the stars peering through together with the moonlight. She blinked twice, making her way to that window and inhaled the cool breeze. The forestry in the area helped the scent more refresing than of the city atmosphere.

She leaned on the ledge, hands on her cheeks as she thought about stargazing. When she was six, her, Levi, Isabelle and Farlan used to go into a boulder underground and watch the stars and moon after doing some work(stealing).