13. Shie Hessaikai

His cold yellow gaze shone brighter as he stared quietly on the screen of his laptop. If people would take a look at him, they would think he's staring at a complicated equation as he knitted his brows lightly.

But the show wasn't anything as complicated or hard. It was simply the clip of someone doing an autopsy to a conscious being. She was tied on all sides of the steel bed trying to struggle as her open wounds started closing back with some type of steam that was evaporating her blood but was being forced open again. Her mouth was covered by a black restraints to stop her from screaming.

She wasn't crying, but she was in obvious pain.

He did hear from the video that there was a shot dosage that made her more times sensitive to pain when it started.

"Her leg healed up in two hours and thirty-eight minutes. It was slower than yesterday." The doctor said calmly.

"Her regeneration was busy healing the stomach. But as we keep on opening it, it seemed that she decided to heal minor injuries." One of the doctors said.

So a deep cut on the leg was a minor injury?

Overhaul pondered for a while as he decided to close the video.

At first, he was disturbed and surprised by the fact that they dismembered her limbs. It looked fake seeing how complete she was that night. But it started healing after hours. It amazed him how she regenerate fast. But when they let her go, she just sat up like nothing happened. They questioned her and she would answer without a hint of anger or emotions. Sometimes, just tired reply or speak with a dry coarsed voice before they end the experiment.

Her files corresponded to the claims on the video as well.

"What do you think?" Chrono asked as he stood close to the door.

"It's morbid." He replied showing no certain emotions  of pity ot sympathy in his visible eyes. "I always knew they deserved to die." He added, closing back the laptop with his usual unreadable appearance

"Should we hire her?" The right hand man asked quite unsure.

"She cleared that she preferred being a neutral." Overhaul stated. Chrono could only stare. "I'd rather keep it that way as well."

"Why? She is definitely a useful one."

"Have you compensated her ruined uniform?" Overhaul disregarded his underling's question and asked instead.

"Yes. We bought her a new one." Chrono didn't raise the issue further.

"She's clean and she doesn't have the sickness. It's enough to give her more privelege."

"We'll do then."

As both sat on the office, three continuous knocks were heard which Chrono opened, showing the girl who they were just talking about today. "Yes, it's me again." She said in a sigh. She was wearing the new uniform the same way she wore it yesterday as the blazer again were tied at her waist.

"How was your stay, miss Ackerman?" Chrono asked a bit politely.

Y/n was a bit in daze. But gave out a reply as soon as she was asked. "It's okay." She replied.

"Why did you come?" Overhaul asked.

"It's six thirty in the morning. They usually send me off to school this hour because it's quite far." She explained.

"I see." Overhaul calmly placed his hands on the table. "Chrono will take you to school and fetch you back." He announced.

"Understood." She replied.

"Are you not going to ask why we're taking you back?" Chrono asked astonished by her nonchalance. Overhaul wanted answers as well.

"I'm here through legal process, I don't need to question that. And if I don't come, it may raise suspicions. I'm not about to get myself to more trouble now that you massacred an entire laboratory people, can I?" She replied.

The two looked at her rather peculiar. But Chrono quickly cleared his throat. "Yes. That's for the best." He agreed. "Let's go then."

"Oh and one more thing." The girl paused. "Is it okay if I get an off on saturday and sunday?" She asked.

"What reason?" Overhaul asked. He doesn't particularly have to be strict towards her since she herself knows what she has to do. But asking for an off made him curious.

"My classmates wish to tour me around town." She explained.

"Why? Don't you know your way around?"

She shook her head. "I just got here less than a month. The residence provided for me is within school grounds. I never had the chance." She explained.

"Very well. I'll permit that. But one of my people will have to watch over you."

The girl didn't ask anymore and just left with Chrono as they reached the car parked. The ride quietly went on until the new guard decided to question her.

"Where are you from then?" He asked.

"Another time‐space as they call it." She replied.

The man glanced at her suspiciously. But since she did say she was residing within campus is one of the good proof and being taken as laboratory experiment.

"You're a weird kid, you know that." He sighed. He was usually quiet at times when facing strangers. But give him a mysterious out of this world person, he just had to fill all curiosity. "Why did you decide to stay at UA. How did they even know you?" He asked.

She was staring at the windows. The question has been asked a couple of times so it didn't really come out as a state secret. "I fell into a classroom ceiling wounded." She replied.

"How's that even possible?" Chrono was in disbelief.

"They said it was someone's quirk. If not, I guess because I'm already dead and our goddesses misplaced me." She replied in boredom.

"Hey. You're not really scared that we'd kill you?"

"Why? Can you?"

"Yes."

She turned to him with questioning eyes. The only way she'll die is a slice on the nape. But if someone tries, her hard crystals would come instinctively shielding it for her. "How?" She asked.

"Do you really want yo die?" Chrono asked back.

"No." She responded quickly.

"Then why are you asking?"

"I was curious is all."

"You don't want to die yet you let self-proclaimed heroes do these inhumane things that may kill you. Aren't you mad?"

"I am." Her soft reply caught him off guard. "But I don't have a choice and so are they."

"They have a choice! So do you. Why are you acting like a goody-two-shoes? You're not a saint."

She was baffled by the sudden shout. She looked at Chrono wide eyed before she let his words process making her slightly laugh. Chrono didn't expect her to let out a laugh at all as well. "Goody-two-shoes? A saint?" She almost wanted to throw him off the car because the terms he used. "Those are interesting words. But don't associate it with me."

"Why not? Aren't you so obedient?" Chrono asked.

"Well. Maybe because in my past life, I was such a cruel being and now I'm atoning for those sins." She replied something in her tone hit a strike in her chest as she remembered her home.

It was quiet again. Chrono just couldn't put a finger on her person but he was being wary.

Soon enough, they were able to reach the school gate and she got out of the car while chrono watched her walk. On her way, a few student from the business class and other class crowded her as usual and then flodding her arms with different sweets and chips and followed her in.

It surprised her new driver. Not knowing how she was that popular despite being there for some days. Soon enough she disappeared from sight with her followers as she speak with them with her typical straight face.

Who would have thought?