33. Drip

Shigaraki Tomura came out of the shadows of the dark alleys, behind him followed the purple mist warp man, Kurogiri.

"You know, I have to thank them for nursing me out here. I would have been dead by now." Reiner started. "The scouts really made a big blow that ripped my arms and legs off."

It would've been better if you did.

Y/n remained staring at him as he began to speak. His tone held disbelief and fear his voice was dramatically rising and it even croaked from the point where he mentioned the scouts. That defeat must've shocked him that even when just speaking about it, his body trembled in horror.

"It was a great thing that we're able to retaliate! Those hundreds of volunteers who joined the scouts and commander Erwin got squished like bugs! I'm pretty sure he's dead right now. Just thinking about it, aren't we winning?" Y/n could feel her chest beating faster and faster. She was on the edge, both from caution and in anticipated horror. Meanwhile, Reiner was laughing insanely that made her feel worse. "I heard the vice captain joined the attack since he wasn't with his squad who happened to be fighting me and Bartholdt."

"What happened to him?" Y/n gripped her sword tighter. Her knees were trembling and her muscles getting more tensed.

"I warned Zeke about him. He's probably dead by now--"

In a quick second, the villain espectators who were with them were stunned. Reiner's big body flipped into the air and quickly falling into the ground, his back hitting the concrete.

Y/n's foot soon pinned him on the chest, pressing his body more into the floor. The man gasped, hardly breathing as he held her ankles, trying to push it away, stopping only when a sword was pointed to his neck. Y/n Leaned herself to look at the blond blankly. But her shaded eyes held animosity that gave one who look to be more intimidated.

"What utter nonsense... did you just say?" She asked with a cold tone even the people surrounding her froze from the chilling sensation of her voice that held authority. However, her insides were chaotic despite reforming her composures. "Aren't you afraid that I'll skin you alive right now? Watch the next words you're going to choose, Reiner. Or I swear that's going to be the last words you're going to say with this filthy mouth of yours."

Reiner coughed. He looked up at her wide eyed, gritting his teeth. "You can't do anything anymore! Zeke might've already killed him!" He shouted, hardly trying to regain his voice. Of course the blonde didn't know what happened after his defeat. But surely Zeke's plan worked and had that man who's known as the humanity's strongest buried in the cannon boulders that the beast titan threw. Especially when Levi Ackerman was always known to have fought in the frontlines alongside his commander, Erwin Smith.

"Dammit, you bastard! You promised you wouldn't lay a hand on him if I did what you wanted!" She stabbed the ground with the force she can fuse with it, engraving the sword halfway on the floor beside his neck. She already wanted to kill Reiner, but her hesitance kept her from harming him despite what he's done. "You're saying that I let myself turn into a treacher and got nearly killed by corporal for nothing?!" The girl felt her body shaking in desperation. Her closed fists became cold and sweaty, trembling unstoppably while she digest what was happening.

She couldn't accept it. The person she wanted to protect most was gone.

This short breakdown made way for Reiner to push her feet away, as Y/n backed a few steps to regain her balance only for her hands to be locked on her back by Dabi. Although he really didn't have to do that, but he just felt the need to in case she might rush to kill Reiner for real.

The girl didn't struggle anymore. What's more painful than being unaware that your efforts to protect someone was useless? But she didn't want to get herself succumbed into hatred or she might really do something regrettable.