Chapter Fifty-Five

The song of the Sorting Hat sent chills Carina. She fiddled with the hem of her robes as the song echoed in her mind. It was a warning, she thought, something bad was going to happen and they would need everyone to stop it. she glanced at the Slytherin table and saw Roman and Theodore talking amongst themselves, but their conversation broke when Roman noticed Carina's look. Roman smiled at her and waved a hello. Carina did the same.

"Good evening, children. Now, we have two changes in staffing this year. We're pleased to welcome back Professor Grummbly-Plank, who'll be taking Care of Magical Creatures; while Professor Dolores Umbridge," Dumbledore gestured to the woman wearing all pink – which made Carina cringe at the sight – "and I'm sure you'll all join me in wishing the professor good luck. Now, as usual, our Caretaker, Mr. Filch, has asked me to remind you –"

"Hem hem."

A high-pitched cough came from Umbridge and stopped Dumbledore in his speech. Gasps and glares came from the students. No one has ever stopped the Headmaster in his speeches.

"Who does she think she is?" Carina whispered to Harry.

"She works for Fudge," Harry said.

"What?"

"She was at my hearing."

Umbridge got up from her seat then made her way to the front, she stared at the students with a smile – that caused a sudden shiver to Carina – plastered on her face.

"Thank you, Headmaster," She began, "for those kind words of welcome. And how lovely to see you all your bright... happy faces smiling up at me" ("She calls this smiling?" Roman muttered to Theodore) "I'm sure we're all going to be very good friends." (Carina coughed at her statement) "The Ministry of Magic has always considered... the education of your witches and wizards to be of vital importance. Although each Headmaster has brought something new to this history school... progress for the sake of progress must be discouraged. Let us preserve what must be preserved... perfect what can be perfected... and prune practices that ought to be prohibited."

After Umbridge's speech, no one said a thing or did anything, it was only until Dumbledore clapped his hands that everyone followed after the Headmaster. Everyone else clapped for Umbridge, even Carina, who simply gave the woman an inaudible clap as she thought of what Umbridge was doing.

"What's wrong?" Harry asked.

"You said it yourself Harry, she's from the Ministry – isn't it obvious?" Carina whispered to him. "Fudge's trying to control Hogwarts!"

After the feast, Carina walked up to the Gryffindor common room with Harry – seeing that Hermione and Ron had prefect duties. Upon entering the common room though, they noticed that everyone had their eyes on Harry, some even whispered about him. Carina held Harry's elbow and tried to lead him up to his dorms, away from the crowd.

"Come on," She told him.

They passed where Seamus and Dean where and saw their copy of the Daily Prophet that had the headline PLOTTER? All in backward, and with it was a photo of Harry. When their stares did not falter, Harry faced Dean and Seamus.

"Dean, Seamus, good holding?" Harry asked.

"All right, better than Seamus," Dean answered politely.

Seamus dropped his copy of the Daily Prophet and stood from his seat.

"Seamus," Carina warned the boy as she stepped forward.

"You know... my Mum didn't want me to go back this year," Seamus said to Harry.

"Why not?" Harry asked.